Click here if you are having website access problems ×

thermostat

C7JFM

Just fitted a thermostat to my Vx8 valve (caterham dont fit one). For the first time in 12 months the engine is now able to get up to a proper operating temperature and was running as sweet as a nut...what a good blat.

Why don't the factory recommend a stat ? Am i going to have over heating problems ? The car just went sooooo much better. Best upgrade for under £20.00

Chris,

Mine was fitted with a thermostat from the factory, the race cars don't have a thermostat, I think the factory therefore forget to fit them sometimes. You shouldn't have any overgeating problems provided you have the right submarine pipe fitted assuming you have a heater. The submarine pipe should have 3 tower outlets on it - if not your se7en will throw out all her water at high revs!

Let me know if you need to know more

Richard

Chris,

I don't think you will - I think the whole problem is around the heater - I removed my thermostat, the problem was still there but nowhere near as bad - fixed now with the right pipe.

Just be aware should you fit a heater for those winter Blats!

I would very much like to know which make of thermostat you used (model and opening temperature). I have a 99 version of the same car (road 'spec). I purchased it secondhand. It had no thermostat from new though. Caterham advised that they didn't routinely fit them. As a result in winter the car rarely gets above 70 degrees unless in traffic.

Been for a Blat to test out the thermostat. Warm up much quicker (no suprise there)and then temperature stabilised around 85 deg. C even with sustained high speed. Suspect that in the summer, in traffic, things would be different, even with the electric fan working, so may remove 'stat for then, if summer 2002 arrives! Thermostat itself is marked at 92 deg. C and is off one of the Cavalier models, the type that clips into the outlet elbow.

Final thought...there was never a diagram in my assembly manual for the Vx 1.6 8 valve cooling system set up. Can anyone confirm that the feed pipe from underneath the header tank goes to the top outlet from the o/s/f of the head (which points rearwards). The heater pipe fits to an outlet immediately below this one. The other heater pipe fits to the single submarine pipe fitted in the lower radiator hose. Not had any problems, but feel paranoid in the absence of confirmatory manual pages