Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hot and bothered 1.4K SS

VC

I was out in my recently acquired 1400 super sport today. My engine started running v.hot when stuck in traffic - it is fine otherwise. Is this normal?

I don't appear to be losing any coolant.

How hot?

It should be something like 95 to 100 on the gauge. More than 115-120 DegC damage may occur. Does the fan operate? Are both top and bottom hoses hot? Is the heater circuit hot? Has the coolant system been bled fully. You should get some flow through the header tank especially with a few more revs than idle. If not when it's cold take the pipe off the head that runs from the header tank and poke a small stiff peice of wire down the hole to operate the "jiggle pin" ball if it has one. You may have to restart the engine but be careful if the engine gets towards thermostat operating temperature.

VC I too have a 1400 SS. How hot is hot? The gauges are not all calibrated the same (Yes I know they should be, but tolerances/resistors etc). The most important thing is to check the 'normal' running temp. & check it against the upper temp. the gauge shows before the fan does its stuff. Example:- My gauge runs normally at 80 degrees. Stuck in traffic it indicates 88 degrees when the fan cuts in to lower the temp. to an indicated 78 degrees.This is with a VDO gauge unit. It could of course show 90 & cut in at 98; it depends on that calibration. what you're looking for is large swings. I've actually blanked off the lower 150 mm to prevent overcooling!!!

Thanks for the replies.

The fan isn't kicking in but everything else seems OK per your suggestions - normally running at 80 deg, no great swings.

Living in the sticks, this was the first time I've ever been stationary in it for any period of time. It went upto 100 deg and I was about to stop but it dropped as soon as I moved off and quickly returned to 80 deg. Incidentally, can you actually hear the fan kick in over the engine/exhaust music or are you going off when the gauge moves?

Anyway, off down to the garage to find out what's wrong with the fan.

Thanks again - VC

If you want to save some time/cash rather than take it to a garage check which bit is defective first. The fan can be checked by just having the ignition on, engine not running.Having taken the bonnet & nosecone off, you will see two wires running up to the thermoswitch at the top of the rad.Pull both the spade connectors off & 'short' them together (with a piece of wire).If all is well the fan should kick in.Watch out for anything dangling that it doesn't get caught.There will be a spark as you touch the wires. This is normal as a fair current is pulled.If this has no effect, then suspect the fan.If it runs, then suspect the switch in the rad.I am assuming you've checked the obvious water level in the coolant tank etc already!!!