Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Improving the lighting of the Seven garage

Pierre Gillet

Aves, We are using this surreal debate as a counterpoint to the Arrowstar one. I have this theory that given another 30 postings or so , it will end up with everyone at each other throat again ! Thus proving that you can start a topic from any angle and after a period of time it will degenerate to a similar level of heat and lack of light but for different reasons.(Hence the luminosity subject matter) Am I a closet psychologist or is this just psychobabble ? Probably the latter !

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many disposable lighters do I need to use to work on my car when it's a moon less night, and how do I keep them all going at once?

Oh, and while I'm on the forum, any ideas on rain collection for car washing? Do I need to filter run off from the flat roof, it's felt covered on some silver stuff (which matches car paintwork and am assured looks good from the air)... thanks in advance.

Lost IT...

Um....

I I can't believe I'm doing something as sad as disscussing garage lighting and heating on the internet, but, in for a penny.....

The use of directly gas fired heating such as the little Calor gas things and the big "rocket" things is unfortunatly a bad, er, thing.

A sizeable by-product of gas combustion is water, as vapour, and this moisture will counteract all the good work with carcoons, silica gel and crossed fingers designed to keep sevens dry.

I cannot remember how to calculate litres of water per KW for combustion but is is a suprisingly large amount.

On the bright side though all heat with these things is used in the area, none is lost as flue gas or in transmission through pipes.

An ideal compromise, if only gas is available to a garage, is the hot air blowers, (with flue to take nasty by-products away), that can be seen if you look up in B&Q, Homebase etc. (Doing the heating, not for sale.)

These move loads of air and can heat big garages very quickly. Made by Garbutt, Powrmatic, BSS. Try BSS or Pipeline centre shops.

I do have a life really, I'm just too hungover to get on with it.

Mark

I've been looking into my lighting dilemma (ie no mains electric supply), and for £28 I can get a solar powered battery charger. I was thinking I could put this in a transparent waterprrof housing then have it permanently mounted on the (flat) roof on my garage, constantly trickle charging up a 100 amp/hour leisure battery.

Does anyone know how long it would take one of these solar chargers (as seen in Demon Tweeks) to fully charge a battery.

I was thinking it would probably be fast enough to provide a full charge over a period of say a few days, which would mean that I wouldnt have to remove the battery once a week to charge it up at home, hence giving me lighting on demand (as long as I dont use the lights for more than a few hours a week).

Any thoughts?

Mark,

You think you're sad - how about this then - your posting got me thinking about basic chemistry - I must be really bored this afternoon. The answer to your statement about amount of water produced from the gas heater is 19.6 litres per 12kg bottle of propane. For those interested in greenhouse gases this also produces 36 kg of carbon dioxide.

I'm going to lie down now in a darkened roon until it's time for the pub.

Paul