Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Screen removal

MartinB

As part of the my upgrades I am going to make to my car I have decide to remove the screen.

I have read quite a few postings on this subject and albit most say that once you fit an areo you wont go back, I would still like to have the option of being able to put the screen back on easily. Two reasons for this.

1/Just in case I have to take my wife out.

2/Or as and when I sell the the car the new buyer can choose.

Anyway what would be helpfull is, if there is anbody localish, who has taken their screen off could you please contact me so I can actually see the results and have a chat about how difficult the job is, before I start drilling or bottle it and pay for it to be done for me.

I live in Byfleet, Surrey A3, M25, Jnt Phone 07950 338959.

Also where is the best place to get mirrors from and the best type to get. Caterham carbon ones are nice but seem expensive.

Martin,

I assume you're talking about replacing the windscreen with the black JPE type screen. I've actually got the Brooklands aeroscreens though and these did not involve any extra drilling as the aeroscreen stanchion and the windscreen are 'interchangeable'. It takes my only 20 mins to change them over.

Mirrors. I use the SPA sportscar mirrors.

The wife. She'll have to like them or lump them. Actually Margaret quite likes our aeroscreens or at least that's what she says when I'm in earshot.

I'm in Orpington if you want to pop round.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

Martin,

Both Kevin Thomas and I have made this mod. We both live in Poole Dorset, so I guess this could be a bit too far for you. But if you fancy a blast down, feel free!

Take a look at Kevin's www

Click here, and go to the bottom of the modifications page, there's a description of how we carried out this mod.

Kevin sticks with the Aeroscreen all year round, I wimp out during the winter and change back to the full screen. It takes me around 30 mins to swap.

When I change back to the full screen the only visable evidence is 2 small 3mm holes on the shoulder of the scuttle that I fill with a small rubber gromets. These holes are covered by the doors in any case. I leave the stub of the SPA sports car mirror in place (you need to use the short mount, I think it's 24mm to keep clear of the windscreen. Let me know if you want to discuss or mail some pics.

Ian.

Martin, I personally prefer the look of the Brooklands screens. As far as I know they still available new from Caterham or Demon Thieves. As for deflecting the air flow I can't really comment as I've never been in a 7 with a JPE screen. All I know is that it is much more comfortable than driving with a windscreen and no doors and that my baseball cap stays on better with the aeros.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif