Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SPARE WHEEL HOLDER

MartinB

I have decided to upgrade and have bought new wheels which have different profile tyres,185 and 205 so there seems little point keeping the spare as I would have to choose front or rear.

What I would like to know is the best way of filling the hole where the spare wheel attaches to the rear of the car, and the best way of removing the carrier so hopefully leaving no sign of the work.

I guess there are a few of you out there who have done this mod, and before I get the hack saw out, do you have any regets or has it caused an problems ie with RAC or AA especially when abroud.

I have found a local guy to do the spraying as I am having the arches sprayed in the next few weeks anyway.

Martin, does this mean you may have a spare set of wheels for sale? If so please call me 07970-739881

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

I don't think I will be selling my wheels just yet but Chris you will be the first to know when I do, if you want five 13" Minilights black centre's with Yoko 21's let me know.

I would prefer not to use a badge but will think about mounting the number plate higher, I'll have a look tomorrow how it might turn out.

I made mine removable when I switched to not using a spare.

Cut the rack tubes about an inch or so away from the body.

Piece of metal rod just the right diameter to fit into the rack tubes then has 4 holes drilled through it. 2 holes drilled in both ends of the rack tube (both sides too) to match (so that you slot the bar into the rack tube, locate with two bolts then slide the whole ensemble into the bits still attached to the car and put two bolts through that).

Removing it means undoing 4 bolts, nice and easy.

I used a number plate light to cover the centre hole. It doesn't look as good as a completely clean rear panel in my view, but can be used to attach stuff when the rack is in place if so desired.

Perhaps not the best explanation in the world but it's not too hard. I think I have photos somewhere...

Hmm, how about a stainless lens-headed bolt to couver-up the hole ?

BY the way: is the spare-wheel holding assembly for sale, by any chance?

I'm in need of the wishbone thing, spacer, etc. ...

If so, I'd be happy to relieve you of them smile.gif

Best ! - Karsten

Pierre and others, Andy kindly sent me full details and photos a while ago... e.mail me off line before Thursday PM or after Monday and I'll send the files to you (between these times I'm downloading over a mobile and it take ages to send!

I am starting the mods and Andy's details are a must to all those planning it.

Tricks

Y57 CDS "Mutley"