Click here if you are having website access problems ×

If you had £1,000 to spend on...

_Tim_

...making a standard 1600K more powerful, what would you do?

My engine is totally standard, but I have a 52mm Trophy TB and the Caterham 4-2-1 non-cat silencer. 120 ponies are no longer sufficient!

I guess fitting an Emerald and a pair of Verniers would come in around that sort of figure, and be a good basis for further engine mods, but what effect would they alone have on the power output?

Any other options?

- Tim

Caterham 7 - BMW E30 M3 - Nissan Navara

I'm sure it would, but for the purposes of this discussion I'm interested only in making more power from my engine.

(besides taking 2nd place in last years Academy I'm not doing too badly on that front anyway *smile*)

*thumbup*

- Tim

Dave, presume you'd be talking the Piper 'fast road' cams there?

As a ball park figure what gains would you expect to see given my current induction/exhaust setup?

I actually want to end up with your K05 kit over time, but financial contraints currently mean I cannot do it in one go. I know this will mean I will end up spending more than is necessary, but, the payoff of having incrementally more power over a period of time is a fair trade-off for me.

- Tim

With the right work, even a head with stock valves can flow enough air for 190BHP so big valves arent essential. A fully ported head with stock valves and cams should give around 150BHP on a 1600. Just the cams on their own with your current setup should give around 135BHP+. Fast road is a generic term and covers about 7 different profiles, the tamest are BP270s and the hottest are 669s, 633s are ideal if further upgrades are planned since they will work equally well with a plenum and TBs albeit differently timed.

Cams & verniers first, then maybe head later and exhaust manifold, followed by TBs/ECU.

Oily

You can get 150BHP+ with a 'die' grinder and cams, with TBs, ECU etc you can get up to 180BHP if you are lucky (from a 1600 with SS/633 cams), the best I have seen from head and cams from a 1600 is 158BHP, with TBs 183BHP. With hotter cams and more head work you could get 190BHP+.

Oily

Not sure who organised yesterdays (wish I had known as I live even closer to the circuit now!), but I have recently been on a Javelin evening session at Snett.

- Tim