Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Something missing?

Miraz

I took it out for a quick test blat this afternoon and I'm still wearing a huge grin.

The diff seems a little clunky, but that's probably just because I'm not used to the LSD yet. There is also a funny rattle that sounds like it is coming from the transmission/clutch - I suspect it might be the top of the d/s tower, should have time to track it down over the weekend.

Miraz

Thanks Alex

I guess I'll have to get used to it - first real run will be from here (Bucks) to Gillingham on Monday, so I need to make sure that nothing is going to break.

I've already managed to upset one of my neighbours by chasing his scooby through one of the twisty lanes leading back to the village. He stopped by to tell me that he usually left other cars for dead on his route home, and was surprised to learn that I was still running in - revs well below 4k, less than 1/3 throttle. 38 miles on the clock and counting...

The other area of concern is the rear brakes - they feel a whole lot less effective than I was hoping for, I suspect that I may have been supplied the wrong pads - I have the uprated front setup. I'd like to get the right pads installed before the drive to Kent so they have a chance to bed in properly. Any recommendations as to what I should be looking for?

Miraz

Arnie,

Yes I used to think it was the release bearing, but it runs against the pressure plate 'tangs' all the time. It's the first motion shaft causing the noise. My 'new' six speed is worse than the five, but the sound is only really heard in the car. Very little outside noise due to exhaust, induction etc!

PS This was a discussion point at a recent Norf Kent meeting and I was amazed how many people thought the sound was almost unique to their car!

Lots of 'em dip the clutch at red lights to stop the rattle!!!!!!!

It's unusual to get inadequate rear braking. I use standard rear pads in standard rear brakes, with EBC red stuff and AP 4 pot front brakes.

I'd try rebleeding the system and give the pads a chance to bed in. Also, make sure the pads are fitted properly. I've reassembled them before, only to find the inside pad is at an angle. Not sure how but it can be done!

Alex