Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Home made air filter

reAnimate

Some advice required please.

I'm running an Elise with an early VHPD TB and Lotus carbon airbox. A large diameter tube runs from the air intake at the side of the car to the air box.

Originaly, it ran with an ITG sausage air filter attached directly to the TB, and the airbox over the top. The car was mapped sans box and filter. After replacing them back on it was runnig very rich. I removed the air filter and left the air box in place and that helped, but left me filterless. So, I have now fabricated (from a plenum barrel KN filter (like the 57i only larger)) a panel that fits in the large ducting tube, located by the air inlet side of the car.

It seems to work fine, but can anyone see any problems with it? I can not help but think if it is so simple why others have not already done it!

Thanks,

Simon.

The only problem would be that it has a low surface area, this will increase the drag thru the filter and cause it to clog more quickly. It will also be more diffuclt to clean. What about a large cone filter on the end of the tubing like a donkey dong? or a flat panel filter at the back of the rampipes inside the airbox

Oily

If I understand what you are saying correctly, the advantage I see with my method is that it is sealed to the outside world and drawing in air from outside.

Cleaning is not *too* much of an issue as the filter has been placed in the adapter-that-goes-onto-the-hole-air-intake but I see your point with the surface area.

I guess the question is then - which would work better - a cone filter mounted in a warm engine compart but next to the air inlet hole or my less drag efficient home made panel drawing in air from the outside?

Cheers,

Simon.

P.S. Car penciled in at Emerald for new ECU and cam timing and mapping session for 22nd Nov.

Hoo-rah!