Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery or starter?

Midnight

Tried to start my crossflow about an hour after a longish run, and got nothing but a clicking noise from the starter solenoid. Flat battery I thought, so I tried jump starting from my other car, but still just the clicking noise from the solenoid.

I've Checked my alternator output recently which was in the region of 13.5 -14 volts at 3.000rpm because the starting wasn't as brisk as usual, after the car was not used for approx two weeks. Next took the starter off, and tried running it directly from my battery charger/starter and also from a spare fully charged car battery. The solenoid worked and the motor span over fine, but of course not under any load. tried running it from the Caterham battery, jump leads, and again it ran strongly. Checked connection and resistance of the Caterham's starting circuit cables, and all o.k.. I put the starter back on the car, and again just the clicking solenoid. Voltmeter on the Cat battery showed 12.45 volts at rest. Help needed! do I change the starter, the battery,the leads to the starter, or all of them! Any advice gratefully received.

Regards, Midnight

Sounds like either duff starter motor (under load) or more likely, an earthing problem. There may well be sufficient earthing to spin the motor without load but as soon as you draw more from the battery the earth is giving out.

Check the earth lead from the battery to the chassis and the earth straps from the engine block to chassis.

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Edited by - Steve Mell on 15 Nov 2001 08:44:11

I would suggest a battery check, most motor factors will do it for free, Even Halfords !.

Saves a lot of bu***ing about and elminates the battery initialy, IMHExperience. batteries just seem to go on Caterhams, probably due to the size and duty required of them.

If its the little Banner battery, its the same as the one used for the Robin Reliant.

Let us know how you get on.

I have same problem with my xflow (clicking solenoid) if it doesn't catch 1st or 2nd time. A piece of advice (in a recent thread under "Help!") I got was ignition off, put it in 4th gear, and rock the whole thing until you hear a click. It worked, but you look & feel like a pr*t. Better than pushing it to the nearest hill. But let me know how you resolve the issue! If a new battery cures it, I should be delighted! It frustrating to own pampered and sleek beast that will not start!!!!

Consider changing the solenoid. On an x flow with bags of compression the solenoid takes quite a pounding. My engine has a red top battery to turn it over. that has bags of grunt and at times struggles. then the solenoid gives up and just clicks.

It could be that the bendix isn't engaging, either through slight damage to the bendix or ring gear although this wouldn't be common on low milage vehicles like a seven. Equally it could be sticky with clutch dust. Julian Bradleys advice is correct for temprarily getting you going again, because a four cylinder engine only normally comes to rest in the same two places when shut down, and hence the same bit of the ring gear gets used for engaging the bendix. pushing it forward makes the starter use a different part of the ring gear, to engage.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 16 Nov 2001 08:09:19

Thanks for the advice, I'll try all the options, although I don't fancy changing the battery as you know it involves taking off the carbs, steering column and coil/ignition pack to hike the old battery out! Oh for the latest scuttle mounted version.

If I need to change the battery can anyone recommend the best make/appropriate size for a 1993 crossflow de-dion chassis with the y shaped tube under the battery tray?