Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Creaking A frame

prs

This is really beginning to annoy. I've tried removing the A frame smearing everything with copper ease and re-torqueing, this lasts for approx 1500mls and then the creaking returns, most noticeable when you get out of the car and the suspension lifts slightly. I've also tried spraying with WD40 insitu again will last for a while and the creaks return.

Am I alone with this niggle or do others get this and if so is there a permanent fix?

All the bushes are fine, no wear etc.

Phil S7SVN 200bhp 😬

• Support Team

I (and quite a few others) have suffered this phenomena.

It seems to be caused by the steel sleeve of the bushes in the A-frame being a gnats too short so that the bolt and the large washer clamp the A-frame to the chassis.

If you do as Nick suggests (by placing a smaller diameter washer under the large washer) this effectively legthens the steel sleeve a bit so that the bolt clamps the bush sleeve to the A-frame (as it should) and allows the A-frame to move on the rubber bushes, hopefully silently.

Rob

Am I alone with this niggle or do others get this and if so is there a permanent fix?

Mine's just started doing this as well. I've yet to investigate but suspect it's a lack of lubrication. Copaslip probably is'nt the best thing to use. I suspect a high melting point lithium based grease would lubricate better & last longer.

Mines only done 1900 miles (in 5 weeks ) and its just started to make the squeak - again as you get out and the suspension lifts.

If anyone does find the definitive solution i'd be grateful, after all it saves me doing the trial and error research.

Are you sure it's the "A" frame bush? as the shock absorber shaft moving into the unladen state have been known to cause a very similar sound, a quick squirt with WD40 could identify or not whether this is the situation.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

• Support Team

Trust us; its something that happens to many (if not all) new builds; lubrication isn't a solution for more than a few miles (and you could count the number on a hand); shimming IS the answer... or I'll eat my hat.

Rob

Definately the A frame, it's coming out tonight as soon as I get home. Looking at it last night the inner washer is resting against the frame on both sides so hopefully a small shim will cure it.

Phil S7SVN

Interested in this thread, I too have a creaking car. I thought it was coming from the front just in front of the foot well. I was getting a tad concerned that the chassis was cracked somewhere, as it seems to be a noise caused by some kind of flexing movement, I suppose that would explain it if its the A frame, it's obviously not at the front though.

Basically it's really noticeable when I sit in the car, if I rock the car, then the creaking occurs, and it seems to be worse on hot days!!

Could it be the A frame, any more thoughts, I'm going to check it out this weekend. I'm sure there's some wisdom out there.

Cheers

I am not a number, I am a free man.