Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Does Anybody Want........

Hazzer

*smile*Rightly ho - second of my topic starts for the day,

- I expect this thread to get hijacked and twisted about - However!

As a serious question to start with - What would people like for their cars that is not currently in the market?

Secondly what parts/systems are currently out there which people feel could be improved upon for quality/performance/weight/price?

For a couple of examples: (1)

Lightweight rear hubs

Aerosection wishbones

Advanced engine mapping, all engine varients - including, detonation checking and launch control.

Examples (2)

Brake master cylinders

Rear brake drums

etc

K Series Dry Sump Kits

Comments appreciated!

Haz *smile*

Edited by - Hazzer on 11 Jul 2005 13:48:48

billet ally front uprights

hand brake caliper that works alongside AP calipers

2" wider rear wings

Aerodynamic front nose / wings , like a Mallock

full tonneau and boot cover in plastic .

small headlights , lke the ones on a National Express coach *eek*

cockpit adjustable arbs

ally brake disc carriers

Self-bleeding brakes.

Or just brakes that work ;o)

More seriously, I'd like a more practical version of the R400 ali half-tonneau - with some kind of hinge/hatch arrangement to allow you to get your shopping in!

A change in the regs to allow a hydraulic handbrake would be nice too...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Someone was telling at the weekend about a roadcar you can now buy which has fly-by-wire brakes (might have been a Merc) - I can't understand how that's acceptable on safety grounds but a hydraulic handbrake isn't.

My #1 request would be a decent lightweight 2 or 4-pot rear brake caliper with working handbrake and all at a sensible price. #2 and #3 would be a free, reliable, carbon-fibre DD tube and propshaft...

Mike

Mike it's the current generation E Class that has an option for the fly by wire brakes although I believe there is still a back-up hydralic only system.

Either way I think Merc have abandoned it as they've had loads of problems with the system!

I think it still has a cable handbrake though ☹️ even if it is now an electric button in the cockpit rather than a lever

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 11 Jul 2005 15:16:17

1. solution to trackday noise problem

2. decent rustproofing on the chassis.

some form of proper fixation of the floor - it should be bolted on, not riveted, or at least part bolted - I accept 50 M5 bolts do weigh a fair bit.

more protection at the tunnel from the prop shaft

Edited by - Alex Wong on 11 Jul 2005 15:30:23

Rust preventing expanding foam to squirt down chassis tubes, doubles up as a way of strenthening the frame making the tube like a bone.

I had seen this on a TV program a long time ago, a trapeze artist had the bar he hung onto made thinner and tested with and without the foam filling, results were great.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

• Area Representative

Better headlights: even the SVC ones are not up to modern tin-top standards

and/or mounting for some additional spotlights.

Better thought out rear lighting (visual appearance and resistance to water ingress) - I saw the way the Swiss do it (and some Brits too) and I am now a bit of a convert to induvidual circular rear lights - there was discussion here just over a year ago.

Agree with Alex about fundamental coating for chassis and components such as front wishbones - much more easily done at source than subsequently.

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 12 Jul 2005 23:14:00

• Support Team

Chassis are now zinc phosphate primed prior to powder coating - this helps prevent rust from "creeping" under the powder coat. You'll never stop the powder coat from chipping but at least now a single chip doesn't cause the powder coat to flake off in great chunks. Some people use helicoptor leading edge tape (super-duper armourfend!) on chassis rails or wishbones that are likley to get chipped

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Area Representative

Rob, thanks for the recommendation

My wings are both showing their age (just like me really!) and within the next six months will be replaced. I have printed out some of the SVC list and will talk to Ratrace too before getting on with it.

Morning (very) all,

Cheers for all the replies, interesting to see what is not out there at the moment/give me ideas for what to do on my wee beastie!

Dave J - thanks for the ideas, I had those on the design list already for my x/flow - the uprights and hub carriers - what car do you have? I guess they are different on later cars/de-dion varients?

Adjustable ARB`s - Mmmmm *smile* Need to give that one some design thought.

I guess from your comments that there is NO handbrake with AP stoppers??

I was looking at an updated/unique caliper design but hadn`t got very far down the design research road yet..... Need to understand what fits what first.

Myles - can`t do much about the regs - sorry 😬

Looking at the hugely heavy Girling (and bl**dy expensive!) BMS it looks like lots of scope for a redesign there to improve on it

Surely there must be other bits on the car that people think could be updated?

I agree with all the comments about the chassis needing to be better protected at source. Powder coating is a *eek* solution. Cheap and Cheerful!

Oh - and BTTT as well *arrowup* !!

Haz *smile*

Edited by - Hazzer on 14 Jul 2005 07:51:04

• 3 weeks later...

All,

Thanks for your replies on this topic, I am collating ideas for what is currently lacking in 7 world in anticipation of launching a new business.

Any further ideas - please feel free to post here or contact me offline!

Cheers

Haz

• Area Representative

Wing mirrors: the Caterham soultion is adequate but surely things could be better - I think this would be a commonly held view.

On the Swiss trip I saw several done like this although I thinks this example is from the US:

here

One advantage is that the mirror is further out from the body.

A second is that it is slightly further forward.

Another is that it will be rigid.

Disadvantage is that it will interfere with the side screens opening- but all the improved solutions appear to.

I suspect that there is a really brilliant solution out there somewhere. I'm trying to think of it!