Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Loudish "ticking" noise from 1.8SS K Series

Keith Henson

I seem to have developed a worrying ticking, tappet-like noise, perhaps even, like a sewing machine, which varies directly with the engine revs. i.e. the higher the revs, the faster is the ticking.thumbsdown.gif This seems to be pretty much the same whether the engine is hot or cold. I have checked the oil level which seems to be fine and I guess that about exhausts my technical expertise!! The car has recently had a 24,000 mile service (actually at 23,000 miles) at the Caterham factory & I have probably done another 1000 since then. The car is only 3.5 years old & has a full Caterham service history. I have had it for 2 and one other before. As far as I know it has never been raced or on the track - although I was hoping to remedy that next year!biggrin.gif As you will gather from the mileage, I use the car all the time (including business thumbsup.gif) but I'm afraid I have to leave the mechanicals etc. to others.

Being paranoid about damaging the engine, the car remains parked in the garage until I know whether there is a real problem to be addressed. So if there are any suggestions out there as to what may be the cause - or indeed what this might be symptomatic of, I would be very grateful to receive your comments!

It has been a sore trial to have to drive around Hampshire today in my Galaxy blush.gif on probably the most wonderful se7enning day of the autumn yet!!mad.gif

Heeeeeelllllppppppp please

question.gif

C4TTT

Keith

(Assuming this is a K series)

Have you checked the cover over the spark plugs. I know that if the bolts aren't tight it does exactly as you describe. Cleary easy to check and no chance of damage to the engine.

Steve.

Regards

Steve Newman

Edited by - Steve Newman on 14 Nov 2001 20:27:21

Sounds like you may have a stuck hydraulic tappet. To check remove the cam cover and spark plugs. Put the car in say 4th gear you will then be able to turn the engine over, what you are trying to do is position the base of each cam lobe above each tappet, thats the bit opposite the highest part on the cam lobe. then measure for any clearance between the follower/tappet and the base of the cam. A healthy hydraulic follower should be in contact with the base of the cam, the duffer will display a clearance an if its noisy your looking at 20 thou and above. Should you find a faulty tappet it will be necessary to remove the cam carrier and cams to fit a replacement which cost £15 or free off the old follower if its face hasn`t been damaged by the cam hitting it. Its all in the Hynes book of lies 3399. Good luck

Oily, I've sent you an e-mail regarding the followers and the Cam belt. Any news.

On the subject of followers I'm replacing my cams next week and while I'm at it I'm going to check the followers (my 16k is a bit tickt too). When I put them back after inspection do I have to make sure they are full of oil or do I just put them back as they are?

Thanks

Gareth

Who Dares Twins smile.gifsmile.gif

Dave, I have a set of VVC ones but they are not new, they need linishing.

Gareth, I would properly linish the faces of the followers as described on my web page if you are fitting different cams and then use some cam lube before starting up. It can hurt to fill the followers with oil, you can do this by immersing them face down in a small container full of warm clean oil for an hour or so before fitting. They can be a bit tricky to strip but its worth taking out the centres to make sure the samll hydraulic valves are not stuck in the centre pillars and that the internal springs arent broken. If the valves are stuck in the pillars pull them out carefully and dress the inside of the pillar or outside of the valve lightly with P1200 until they *just* slide, make sure you clean them maniacally before re-assembling.

Oily

All, Thanks for the very prompt responses!

Hard to believe but I opted for the easy one first - check the cover over the spark plugs! One of the bolts took about 1/2 - 3/4 turn & that does seem to have done the trick - I think! thumbsup.gif

What I find amazing is that the cover felt absolutely tight and there did not seem to be any slack even if I could turn the bolt a bit more. Having done that I took it for a quick blast in the dying rays of another perfect se7enning day - brilliant!teeth.gif

However, I swear I heard a few seconds of "ticking" again when I was idling at a junction! Paranoia? We shall see, but if that hasn't fixed it at least I have another idea to work on in terms of the hydraulic tappets! However, that does sound somewhat more challenging - so unless the noise returns, I think I will keep my fingers crossed & hope it was nothing more malign than the spark plug cover. Damn funny tho!

Come to think of it, the Haynes book of lies might be a good investment. The wife has been asking what she can buy me for Christmas. Well she can get the Haynes Manual as well nowwink.gif

Many thanks to all those who took the time & trouble to reply. Very much appreciated.

Keith

C4TTT