Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

fitting a 'Caged' SLR cage

frankyknuckles

I plan to do this sometime soon. Am I being too ambitious to think I can do it ? I'm not keen on paying the 7+ hours labour that CC are quoting. Are there any tips or tricks to fitting one ? Before I fit it, I'll probably get CC to open up the holes in the side skin (I presume they have a jig to position the holes instead of drilling out the rivets on the inside panels?).

It's not difficult to fit a cage in terms of what needs to bolt to what, but it can be rather awkard - especially if the cage doesn't quite line up. You might a need a few guys on had to persuade it into place. It will also help immensely if you have at least 2 and ideally 4 people to lift it on. You can do it on your own (I did) but it means scratching the car in the process.

....and I don't think CC do have a template. They just unrivet the side skin.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary

My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Dave stew has the safety devices Slr cage which i think is slightly different to the Caged one, but when he fitted his he could get about half the holes to line up, TSK then sprayed the cage and car and fitted the cage for him, I think they have someone who does it all the time, i've heard they use a ratchet strap to pull the cage into line with the holes.

If I were u Dave I would drill the rivets out of the inner panel to expose the sleeves welded to the Chassis, then drill from the inside out through the side skin with a small drill, gradually getting larger till the desired hole is achieved. have a friend help you to 'offer' up the cage to the car.... you might be lucky and it all lines up. but untill u offer it up u wont know 🤔

'Pinky Pics' here

I STRONGLY advise you to let Caterham have the problem of fitting the cage. I recently built a car and it has been impossible to get the caged cage to fit, I have chatted with Gary May who was unable to get Brodies cage to fit properly had to resort to using undersized bolts right through the sides of the car to get it to fit. I have yet to meet an owner who got the cage to fit without a struggle. In short its a very difficult job and the caged cage doesn`t fit very well.

Fitted mine in about 90 minutes, it was easy *thumbup*

The only difficult bolts were the front pair which are inside a short tube, you need to replace the bolts with cap heads to get the clearance, CC should provide you with these.

Franky, my advice is get CC to make the holes for you and do the rest yourself

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

so is the variance in the cage or the chassis ?

Cage. My chassis is spot on. The used cage I have suspiciously came with one undersized mouning bolt . .. Thought nowt of it at the time until I fitted the cage and, you guessed it, one fitting required an undersized bolt.

Must get the Gigabusa finished *smile*

So it sounds like a lottery as to whether or not I get a 'good fitting' cage ?

I'm also replacing the scuttle, so I suppose the best way to go ahead with this would be to remove the scuttle (I think I will keep the bulk head in place due to various bits like the heater blanking plate being riveted and siliconed in place), fit the cage and then fit new scuttle?

www.R300.net