Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is it worth trying to upgrade?

Nigel Hooper

I have a standard 1.8 Roadsport. Is it worth spending money to upgrade to 160bhp or am I better selling the roadsport and buying a R400?

I have never driven anything bigger than my current 7 so any advice/experiences would be appreciated.

• Support Team

It would probably be cheaper in the long run to sell the Roadsport and buy an R300 or R400. It depends how attached you are to your current car and what condition it is in versus the likely condition of an R300/R400 within your budget. Also would you use Caterham for upgrades or a 3rd party (DVA, Hellier, etc.)? An upgraded car is never worth as much as the "proper" version - it would always be an upgraded Roadsport and worth little more than a standard Roadsport.

Having just completely rebuilt my 1997 Superlight I am sure that I could have sold it and with what I spent on the rebuild plus what I would have got for the car could have bought an SLR or maybe even an early R400 (hell I could have bought that R500 going for less than £20k *confused*)...But I now have an as new chassis, it's "my car", and I know it inside out. I intend never to sell it and will upgrade the engine at the earliest opportunity - using a 3rd party rather than Caterham.

Really there is no easy answer to this and if you are buying new or very nearly new and can afford it, I would sell you rcar and buy an R400.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Indeed.

I've spent way more than the performance/features I've ended up with IYSWIM - but virtually none of it (other than headwork assembly etc.) has been done by anyone other than myself/friends, so I've learnt a huge amount and saved a lot of labour charges too...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Depends what you want, Nigel. There are things that your car has that an R3/400 may not have (leather seats, maybe) and vice versa (six speed gearbox, perhaps).

Whatever you choose to do, you'll be spending money - spend the money on an upgrade and (if the other posts here are correct) you may not recoup the outlay, or spend the money on an R3/400.

See correspondence here for more opinions!

Stelios the Bubble *confused*

Click here for my Caterham 7 page or here for some photos