Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SLR ECU upgrade

allegro

I have the standard SLR Rover MEMS ECU and am considering an upgrade to the Emerald M3D EMS and changeing to vernier pullies. Has anybody else done this question.gif If so, what were the gains question.gif How much did it cost with the Rolling Road setup question.gif and what if any problems did you experience question.gif

Thanks in advance

Andy Mac

teeth.gif Out of Control RED SLR teeth.gif

Nudger Marston (V7 SLR) has done this to his SLR, the main benefits from the ECU change were better progression, a rock steady idle, crisper pick-up, much better part throttle and a little more peak power. In conjunction with re-timing the cams using Piper verniers there was a marked improvement in flexibility and the peak power went up over the 200 mark. The most noticeable changes were in the mid range where the dips in the torque curve were ironed out. The cam timing as installed without verniers was hopelessly retarded.

The ECU is about £500 + VAT, the rolling road time will be minimal since Dave Walker already has half a dozen or so maps from VHPD engines. The cam retime takes about 10-20 mins on a Caterham so it wont be expensive. If you allowed £100 for the RR/mapping/re-time that would be more than enough. A pair of verniers can be had for £100 + VAT from me.

AFAIK the M3DK has behaved properly. it was originally shipped out to Nigel in Switzerland when his MEMs failed, it was connected and started first time I believe. The main reason it is much better than the MEMS on this engine is that it doesn't use manifold vacuum to determine load on the engine. This method is unreliable on engines which have more agressive cams like the VHPD since they produce poor vacuum characteristics at part throttle and low RPM. The M3DK uses throttle position alone to determine load.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 14 Nov 2001 15:08:33

Thanks Oily

I have spoken to Emerald and have been filled with confidence and am sure that this is the way to go. Minimal mods maximum gains.

Are the verniers you sell ally or steel question.gif

I will make this a January/Feb project, so if ally, I will be back to you for the pullies about then.

Thanks again

Andy Mac

I'm sure the MBE is a fine unit, but I think it's worth persevering for an M3D, it is plug compatible, the programming kit is free and there are maps available which are 99.9% correct for the VHPD and allow you to get up and running immediately. If you are having trouble contacting Emerald try this email

EmeraldM3D@aol.com

or

Karlpaton@aol.com

0207 737 7114

0207 274 5057

Oily

Thanks guys

It is a definate goer.

M3D EMS and vernier pullies for the end of January. I would be interested to hear what power gain has been experienced. I understand the drivability is much improved, although mine is not all that bad anyway. But what if any BHP increase question.gif

Andy Mac

Yup. I'm now a 200-club member, thanks only to a properly mapped M3DK and vernier pulleys. Throttle response is electric now. By comparison, it was a sluggish old beast before. Now it's a race-car.

Next weekend sees the start of the "Winter upgrades". I'll post more next year when the work's done.