Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sump baffles

Wight Skipper

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David, sorry but I won't be around. The car is stopping here for the next few weeks ☹️ and I have work in the UK. (Mixed feelings...) My DS by the way is the CC version but I did have a spare sump pan that I flogged to Stu Forshaw.

I am sure there are systems out there that you can look at.

Kevsta, if you use Caterham parts you will need a scavenge pump mounting bracket, which I believe is actually a mounting bracket for a Rover power steering unit and a different off-side engine mounting bracket.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

• 5 weeks later...

So has anyone had any joy getting a full refund from Hellier since their product is nit "Fit for Purpose" or should we get trading standards involved.

160 quid would buy a nice DS tank or hoses instead of some useless piece of scrap ally which obviously didn't undergo proper testing before being punted onto the market, I can't believe the lies that have been posted opn this forum about how good it is.

Roy.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

I think 'lies' is a bit strong... the reports I read about how good it was before buying one (still in it's bubblewrap - can't figure out whether to fit it, flog it, or chase Hellier for a refund on it!) were based on road driving (round and round a roundabout, if I recall correctly)... perhaps I didn't see the ones referred to, though...

As I'm planning o do most of my driving on the road (although I like to test the limits), I am still unclear whether I am better with the baffle than the foam?

Hersh

The foam caused me to perform a bottom-end rebuild after less than 400 miles (completely dissolved - possibly coolant-contamination related *wink*, but it was the foam slush and oilpipe blockage as it fell apart that did the damage).

I've not spotted the OP dropping below about 20* psi on the road with the Hellier baffle - but it does *not* stand up to the multiple revolutions of a roundabout test - and seems to suffer particularly on LH bends if anything.

At the moment, I don't want to waste the oil by performing a 'definitive' test - i.e. drive back-to-back with the Hellier baffle in and then out.

*I can and *have* managed to get it down to the low 20s on the road - and although this is positive-pressure, it's not a comfortable place to be under load... ...and although the SPA gauge is very quick to react, it must have *some* damping

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 11 Aug 2005 08:53:55

All I will say is that the baffle does not eliminate surge on the road with moderate cornering forces and Yoko 21 tyres.

I'll leave it up to you to decide what to do with it.

here's what was posted on another thread here

posted by Red Dave

Will Fly,

referrence oil pressures with baffle fitted we did some hard driving at speed and fast continuous cornering breaking ect. before and after fitting baffle.

before baffle pressure dropped all the time

after baffle fitted the same tests showed pressure to remain constant were needed

this was with a much more acurate gague than the standard one on your dash.

It seems very good

{/quote]

and from the same thread posted by Dave Jackson

The testing that was done was documented here, datalogging would have recorded what I saw - no change in oil pressure ( significant drop in pressure without baffle) , back to back test , same car , same conditions same section of tarmac , same speed , same oil level , same evening , I dont know what the G forces were but traction was being lost at 55 mph on all 4 wheels on 32R's and good suspension setup . The baffle was also tested at Llandow and no alteration in oil pressure was seen around the long Gluepot corner ( 4th gear , at 85mph) .- I hoped you would have believed me and my own eyes.I apologise if it was "scientific enough"

The baffle it self will undoubtably have its limitations, and if the corner described is a higher G force than Mallory , then that realy is some bloody corner ! . It should be remebered that this is not a subsitute for a £1700 dry sump system, it is designed to reduce or eliminate the effects of surge in the majority of circumstances where surge would occur with a std wet sump system . It will have its limitations , but those limitations will undoubtably be reached far sooner without the baffle . But those limitations were never said or implied to be similar to a full dry sump system .

I hope this helps , but please note I have no intention od getting into a bun fight on this . I prompted original development when nothing else was being done , I accept constructive feedback but please lets keep it reasonable and sensible ?

Dave

{/quote]

Here's my (sensible) feedback.

While driving on public roads using Yoko 21s and e 7.5 l fill of oil I noticed a drop in oil pressure on a number of occassions from 4 to 2 bar whilst going 270 degrees round roundabouts at speeds of approximately 40 - 50 mph.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

Happiness is knowing you have just a tad too much power *wink*

As Casbar says.....

I have a Pace dry sump system *tongue* *thumbup*

ps. If anyone is looking at tanks, ths pace one will not fit to a std caterham with standard pass footwell, not without shortening the pass footwell 😳

I have fitted the Brise tank which works very well

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Superlight No.171

now known as:Superlight DVA 207

Edited by - Martin Whitcher on 16 Aug 2005 16:50:21

My problem is compatability with the Brise tank. Photos show this fitted in front of the engine (no problem) with the coolant header remounted to the offside. However, my 1800 runs with the old cast ali 1400 supersport plenum with a forward facing throttle body, and that space is occupied by the air filter. One solution is to replace the plenum with the later plastic one. Is there any data/experience to show that this plenum is really inferior (everybody seems to think it is)to the the supersport one.

Is it possible to fit the early stepper motor type throttle body to the later plastic or VVC plenum?

I don't particularily want to remove the passenger footwell.... My son can barely fit as it is!!

Any ideas?

Malcolm

• Leadership Team

Malcolm, as I understand it the ali plenum is not only bigger inside including the manifold tracts, but also that there is an advantage in it facing forward to receive cooler air. This assumes that you have added the "deflector plate mod" to prevent the radiator air warming the inlet? You could actually mount the expansion tank anywhere if you use longer hoses (16mm & 8mm) - IIRC very early 1400Ks had the tank on the bulkhead area?

Stu.