Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sump baffles

Wight Skipper

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not questioning the common sense in a dry sump system but as an academic exercise - How bottom end rebuilds or replacement engines could you buy for the price of converting to dry sump?

So by that reckoning you could have 9 or 10 bottom end rebuilds for the price of a dry sump set-up 😳.

No point in this calculation other than to prevent myself worrying and spending £2k I don't have to.

I feel a lot better now. 😬

As I said in my opening post, I wish I has the money for a DS system and I was approaching this from a position of a purely academic exercise.

If the pace DS comes in at about £1200, (actually that's not bad at all - does that include everything?) then that's only 6 bottom end rebuilds *tongue* not the ten I had compared the CC DS system at £2k *thumbup*

A number of owners have used the Caterham oil pump, sump but instead of using the bell tank have simply fitted a seperate tank.

I interested in finding the costs of the parts to convert to this spec.

Tony.

Only because of the bellhousing tank . If you use a seperate tank then I would say the CC system is easier to fit as you dont have to remove the oil pump .

sump change > DS pan

remove RHS engine mount

fit pump and cradle

fit new engine mount

fit pipe work

locate new remote tank

plumb up

I think that considerable savings are available if you are prepared to be a bit resourceful. The CC DS sump is cheaper than the Pace one (IIRC) at £200. I am sure the scavenge pump is available elsewhere (could be a sticking point). You will need a mod'd pickup. The DS tank can be anything you like - a decent fabricator can make you one in ally, stainless or steel depending on budget.

It's only £1000 if you throw your cheque book at it. I reckon 7-800 might see it if you were clever.

Am going to do DS over the winter too. Am up for any BB or if we need to enterprise a cheaper method. Advantage of pace though is it is a two stage pick up where as the CC is only 1. Also, CC still uses the old oil pump, the pace is a completely new set-up!

No, I agree, just when I looked into it last year that was what I found out. I too wondered if the CC route could be done cheaper. From memory you need:

Sump pan (£250?)

Scavenge pump?

Tank (£150?)

Hoses etc (£150?)

New pick up pipe?

Can't think what else....am I missing something (other than the oil *wink*)