Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sump baffles

Wight Skipper

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have taken mine out. Track day on Monday showed less oil surge with it out than in.

I believe Knowley has been sent a modified rear plate from Jason for his, but I don't think he has tested it yet.

Tested mine for the first time 2 weeks ago at the 'ring. Even on RE720s it was hopeless with the low oil pressure light coming on 4-7 times per lap (mid way through the weekend I changed from 5-40 oil to 10-60 which improved things slightly but not enough)

Hated the foam, and now not happy with the baffle. Have emailed Jason at Hellier and am waiting for a reply

*thumbdown*

Went round Combe as a passeger in a 1400 K wet sump with baffle but no Apollo. AO32 S tyres.

Right hand bends all showed a dip from 4 to 2 bar except Quarry where the drop was below 2 bar and looking a bit iffy.

Left handers rock solid 4 bar but then the oil sloshes the right way on a left hander.

C7 CDW

the oil sloshes the right way on a left hander.

Erm, not if you're going forwards.... *confused*

On a LH'er, the oil moves from the shallow side to the deep side and so it is more likely that starvation will occur. The pickup isn't entirely central, but it's not enough to give it a good drink of oil under moderate g.

FWIW, I have big problems on the two lh'ers up Fish Hill on RE720s - OP drops to under 2-bar on the SPA gauge.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Had mine fitted before Oulton last week. On right handers seemed to be fine, on the two left handers (Cascades and Island?) pressure was dropping to 2 bar. Not sure that it is worse than before, - have only driven two track days before, but the pressure was dropping without the baffle at Surtees (LH) on the Brands GP circuit last September. However, it doesn't seem to have improved things much either...

David,

You lucky, lucky... *tongue* *wink*

The only place I know locally where there are lhanders you can attack is Fish Hill - and this is reasonably-steep too. You can build up sustained g for a second or two and travelling up hill can't help matters...

This is a reasonably-extreme case, so I wouldn't be surprised if the issue didn't show up so much elsewhere.

What worries me is that the engine is under load all the way up - especially coming out of the corners. I've taken to easing/pausing the throttle as I exit the corner to allow the OP to recover before putting the hammer down again...

...which suggests (thinking about it) that the fact I'm travelling uphill doesn't mean a damned thing - the OP wouldn't recover if that was a factor.. Hmm-ha...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I am out at Snetterton on Thursday and intend to put the bullet cam on the OP Gauge as I dont yet know what its doing to mine. All the negative vibes is a bit worrying to say the least. ☹️

DS seems the only answer but oh the £££££. 😳

I will have to see how the fund are come the spring.

I may be up for a BB *confused*

Grant

😬 183 BHP of black and stone chip excitement. 😬

here