Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis No: location

hirondel

The full chassis number should be located where Alex says, under the pedal box cover.

Arch also stamp the chassis with a seperate and different number around the offside rollbar mounting, showing I recall date of manufacture and another coded reference which means something to Caterham and Arch!

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Do I need to remove some parts (for instance the pedal box cover)to discover the chassis number as I'm not able to find it, neither around the pedal box, neither around the roll bar fixing area.

The only place I can find it is on the pop-riveted ali plate near the engine. But, I believe there is certainly a place where it should be stamped in the chassis frame. Where?

Someone once told me (forget who or when) that the number by your right shoulder (close to the roll bar mount) is something to do with type approval of the inertia reel seatbelt fittings. The seat belt mounts have to be tested by some authority or other, small volume type approval or whatever, the chassis then needs to be stamped to show the reference number of the test.

Might be b*ll*cks of course.

The number under the pedal box is the Caterham Chassis number. On newer cars the pedal box cover is cut away so it can be read, on older cars the cover will need to be removed.

The number on the top drivers inertia belt mount is the Arch record for the CBU number andf the year of manufacture.

It uses the following format:

Top line AM XX where XX are the least two signifcant digits of the year of manufacture.

The bottom line is a 4 digit number, which is a chasis number which Arch use.

Hence:

AM 93 is a 1993 chassis, number 1234

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

In fact there are 3 chassis numders on a Caterham two exposed and one hidden.

The one located at the rollbar is a frame nr.+ date

Then there is the chassis nr. at the pedalbox

And the hidden one ?

surprice, surprice.

It is on top of the wipermotor bracked, but you need a mirror to see it.