Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T Focus a/c related stalling

Myles

Three or more times in the last week or so, my 52-reg (13k miler!) Focus 1.6 has stalled approaching 2nd-gear corners/roundabouts. A mix of 4-2nd or 3rd-2nd (mostly the former) changes.

I slow down in 4th as usual and dip the clutch for the change at the usual rev point - and the engine just fades before I get the next gear in. It's a soft-fade and it almost caught be out on one occasion - into a dead-slow L-R 90-90 corner (only about 2 car lengths between the switchback). I had Radio4 on - and the engine died entering the first corner - only way I found out was when I nearly broke my arms trying to avoid the car coming the other way (power steering and some brake assistance (I guess) died).

I've also had the feeling that the power steering is getting slightly heavier than it used to be...

...anyone had similar faults? I've got the Haynes manual - and the car is out of warranty - but it all sounds a bit subtle at the moment... ☹️

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Sounds like a sticky Idle Speed Control Valve. The aircon Comp puts a fair load on, as long as it's a bit here and there. here is my Volvo one and it puts a noticeable load on. (when it's not on the bench.)

Turn the climate/aircon off. That'll eliminate it from your enquiries.

susser (1/2 🙆🏻d thermodynamicist)

Some suggestions from the Ford TIS CD - available from all good ebay outlets!

I am not very good at driving it - but I think these are pertinent to your vehicle

Subject: Engine speed undershoots during deceleration to a stop.

Should a customer express concern that the engine speed undershoots during deceleration to a stop, and in extreme conditions results in an engine stall, the probable cause is that the clutch switch has been activated without disengaging the clutch. This sends an erroneous signal to the powertrain control module, which reduces the idle air flow through the air bypass valve. To recify this concern, the clutch pedal switch should be repositioned so that the switch cannot be activated without clutch disengagement

Get out of jail free answer:

If a customer expresses concern over the vehicle stalling either when the clutch is pressed whilst approaching a junction or when changing down gears during braking at low speed, it could be possible for the PCM to have incorrect calibration parameters. Please ensure preliminary checks are carried out in case there are build or hardware issues. Do not assume the vehicle calibration is the problem as many other issues can cause these symptoms. Use FDS2000 to perform a full engine diagnostic. If this fails to resolve the concern, re-program the module.

There is loads of stuff on the disc - some of it possibly helpful!

You are welcome to have a loan of it if you think it will help.

Regards,

Jon.

My cranky old Landcruiser has an "idle up" feature which increases the engine idle speed by approx 100 RPM when the A/C is switched on, and this is on a 2.4 diesel, so what sort of load does the A/C present to the engine?

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.