Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

a question about tyre wear

frankyknuckles

Following ALOT of sideways action at Keevil earlier this week, I now have 2mm(ish) of tread left before the wear marks on all four of my CR500's. The total depth of the tread in the central grooves and most of the tread pattern on all tyres is 4mm. I have a track day at Bedford on Saturday, the weather is forecast to be dry and warm. There will be almost no sideways action at this trackday, do you think I have enough tread left to get me there (100+ miles) do the track day and get back again ?

I'm not that bothered if the tyres are then shot at the end of the day as I will have plenty of time to replace them before my next track day at Mallory.

I think I remember reading that CR500's are still good on track when almost no tread is left ???

www.R300.net

The former I think. But bear in mind the wear bar will be flush with the rest of the tread from the point it becomes illegal to the time when the tyre pops because your worn through the carcass 😬.

Steve.

As Mike says the wear marker do not actually equate to the law. Most manufacturers have been setting these at 2mm to comply with the law in the USA, some I understand have been even deeper at 2.5mm. Always use a depth gauge for accuracy.

I had an argument with a police officer about wear marks many years ago as he said my tyres were illegal on an Fiesta tin top, I won the debate when I took my depth gauge out of my tool box and measured them to his reluctant satisfaction

Edited by - Graham Perry on 8 Jul 2005 08:26:33

I was recently surprised when I used a depth gauge to measure my tintop tyres (just off the wear bars) - found 3mm tread remaining, smiled and put it back in the toolbox. This is on cheap tyres - I suspect they aren't too precise with the depth and put them on as an indicator only. Bear in mind also that some countries (Switzerland springs to mind) have 2mm limits.

What's this about a "new law" and 3mm?

• Support Team

Don't know about a new law, but recent research has shown that once tread depth drops below 3mm then wet braking perfomance drops dramatically see here

Not sure where that leaves us A048R users - we only seem to get 4mm to start with 😬

Yellow SL *cool* #32

couple of questions come to mind:

I had always thought the wear marks in the tread indicated the legal minimum. *confused*Please could someone clarify what the legal minimum is?

Trevor suggests there is some new law next year. What does this involve?

A Bear of little Brain!