Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Micro road pilot GPS installation

SvenDriver

Nice shiny unit turned up today. Road-tested in the Tintop. It works *cool*

I was wondering where people mount the things and the GPS antenna. The head is so small that it would be a shame not to do it nicely.

The head unit I think can be dash mounted with a straight bracket.

I'm guessing that the best place for the GPS antenna is under the glass fibre nosecone - but that getting there might cause routing issues. The alternative is by the windscreen but I suspect the heating elements will act as a block.

t on the rear bulkhead just poking out

You'd lose all rearward vision of the sats that way. I admit that this is not really any different to the situation in a tintop (only real view is forward through the screen)...

I like the idea of it just under the boot-cover. Perhaps mounted on the forward boot-lip above the tranny tunnel???

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Final answer:

1. Cigarette lighter socket installed onto a new circuit fed direct from the battery with a 3A inline fuse by the battery. Socket is located on tranny tunnel by the heater.

2. GPS Antennae installed under nose cone on headlamp cross-member. FWIW This seems to be the strongest signal area. The windscreen attenuates the signal a little when mounted near it. Cable routed through pedalbox with a small slot cut into pedalbox cover.

3. Head unit mounted above washer/wiper switches. Head unit is only slightly larger than the bike computer it replaces - and it is black *wink*

Overall, nice and neat.