Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

coolant basics...

Gee Whizz

OK bit of a newbie when it comes to the mechanicals...

if I top up the coolant level with some deionised water what are the effects?

is the coolant likely to boil at a lower temperature because there is more water in there than coolant?

I guess freezing in winter is the other problem?

anything else I should be wary of?

Gavin Gee

anything else I should be wary of?

Mixing EG and PG based coolants.

Hard to do these days - the vast majority seem to be EG (Ethylene Glycol) based - but the Comma coolant CC used to use was a PG formulation, AFAIK.

Oh and:

Why do you need to top it up? Where is it going?

and:

Make sure you top it up when the engine is as cool as possible - certainly try to avoid opening the bottle while the engine is running or shortly thereafter... It's pressurised for a reason...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 8 Jul 2005 09:11:01

Caterham spec Comma Xstream Red at 50% concentration

BTW Xstream Red can come pre-diluted. They don't say on the pre-diluted bottles what the concentration is but since CC sell it like that I guess it is the required 50% mix. (Since I just had to swap out my heater for a new, hopefully watertight one I'm wearing quite a bit of the stuff) *smile*

Edited by - Colin Mill on 6 Jul 2005 16:14:48

I used to get mine from Rover - originally branded as Havoline 5-year coolant, they started branding it themselves sometime within the last year or so.

ISTR that there was nothing wrong with Halfraud 5-year stuff either - the only trouble (as I found out a month or two ago) is that Halfrauds have a funny idea that 'antifreeze' only needs to be on the shelves during the winter... I asked - and they said they'd cleared it from the shelves as it wasn't a summer product...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Wilkinson's DIY shops, purveyors of top quality tat and occasionally good quality gear across the whole of the North and Midlands. I got some decent semisynth oil for a tintop at 6 quid a gallon - met all the API specs I needed (API SH, I think) so if it's good enough for the API it's good enough for me. It was certainly good enough for a 10 yr old Alfa.

Out of interest the K series should be topped up with what?

Caterham spec Comma Xstream Red at 50% concentration

I think this is true only if it has XStream Red in it to start with !

ISTR you shouldnt mix different types of coolant. so if it has Comma Coldstream (which is green and is what Caterham used to use before XStream ) you probably ought to find some more Coldstream, because XStream is Ethylene based and Coldstream is Polypropylene based. I cant find the thread where this was discussed now but will keep looking.

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect the coolant in my K is the same stuff as new (now 10 years old *eek*). Is this likely to be doing anything nasty to the engine? I've never had to top up the coolant once in the 1 1/2 years I've owned her.

Cheers!

M.

If you used deionised, you will be ok. If you use demineralised, you are looking at a PH of the water of near 4.5-4.8- ie acidic. This will not agree with the alloy K series!!!, unless you buffer it up to 7.5 to 8.5 PH that is. *eek*

This one goes up to 11

If your coolant capacity is 8 litres for example, you can use 8 litres of pre mixed antifreeze, do not add water.

If you are wanting to use ethanol glycol, it is usually good quality and you will only need a 33% mix, simple, round the 8 litres up to 9 and divide by 3 = 3 litres antifreeze.

Do not use tap water, instead use de ionised water.

Simply Add say 2 litres of de ionised water to the hot engine to start with, add the 3 litres of anti freeze/coolant and then top up to level with the rest of the water.

If you have a heater, leave it in the open position so as to replace the coolant in the matrix, get the engine up to running temp so as to let the thermostat open before doing the change.

Coolant can effect the running temperature of your engine, an engine has an optimum running temperature, this effects fuelling, ignition, BHP, etc.

Do not waist your time on cheap anti freeze as it is normally alcohol based, flammable and it evaporates.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR