Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slicks much faster?

DSL

• Area Representative

If you look at the comparative times of Dave Jackson and Brodie at Longcross then Llandow, you may deduce that they may be worth around 2 seconds on a typical sprint course.

Brodie ran A24 ACB10's for Longcross and ended up very close to Dave.

At Llandow he used Sprint compound slicks and was over 2 seconds faster.

I'd say that was a good margin!

I reckon 2-3 seconds over a double lapper at Curborough - Sprint compound slicks are much softer than A24 - they don't overheat as easily because of the larger surface area and lack of tread.

Chelspeed seems to be going about 2-3 seconds quicker with the move up to class 6.

It is a huge margin and I have been tempted just to experience the grip - but it starts to get very expensive for something I only do a few times a year.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 7 Jul 2005 09:41:46

Could be argued that slicks place more stress on all suspension components and chasiss. So the joints and bushes may need more regular servicing .Also the gearbox could wear faster as the slip of the rear tyres will be less ??

But I guess if you are only sprinting then you are only doing all this for short periods of time .

Are you going to go Brodie baiting then Darren ?? *wink*

Dave

*smile* I too am considering class 6 next year . My thinking is that if these ACB's are costing me £550 then I might as well spend a little bit more for some proper slicks and then I can also enter mod prod classes at other national championships instead of having to swop between ACB10 suspension settings ( L7C) and A48 radial settings (South west championship ) *mad*

Hi chaps! Dave-I reacon you would be wise to buy your slicks now for next year's class 6 bid and sling them on the V8 to help control that power!The thing is,you've pretty much sewn-up class 5 already and if you beat everybody at Curborough we'll just say "It's the car" and if you don't,well that'll be the driver then!!Tough call mate!? Go on Dave.........you know it makes sense!! 😬 *thumbup*

I wouldnt say class 5 is sewn up *tongue* . Darren Luke has decided to come sprinting this year - its his first year and at venues he has never been to before is realy putting in cracking times - it goes to show that engine power isnt everything !, then we have Aber's and his crew in the BDX . Cracking fun and kicking my ass at curbuggar !! *tongue* ,. Hopefully Simon will do some more rounds in the near future as he is half lunatic half insane , and then Mike bees will get back in the swing of things and we will be in for a cracking end of season and 2006 ........

I would say class 5 is just coming alive *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Welcome Brodie *wink*, as a man who has experience of both slicks & acb10's, how much faster do you think I may have gone at Mira if I had run on slicks 🤔(all other things being equal )

Yeh thats right Dave but I'm not sure about the other half though *confused*

Guess what I've just swapped some cash for a set of s/hand Barnby wheels with Slicks on. 😬

Now i think i need a team van with support and a brollly dollly. Three sets of wheels and tyres *mad*

Last year i was quite happy on Yoko's

MY 51VEN

Give it some Welly

Hi Darren *thumbup* Certainly the suggestion that slicks,and by slicks I would say proper sticky ones that suit the power and set up of your particular car,can be worth approx 2 seconds per minute is about right.IMHO the quicker the circuit(i.e. Aintree/Mira) the smaller the advantage.Similarly,a spot-on set of slicks at a long but twisty track could be worth at least 2 seconds a lap!Paul's sub 60 second run at Curborough in May probably wouldn't have been much faster were he running on slicks as 150 h.p. is a good level to be at with ACB 10's!You on the other hand must feel frustrated by a little too much sideways motion which loses you valuable tenths? Class 6 it is then!?? 😬

'......in yer bike!'

Brodie thanks for your input, I am really undecided what to do for next year.

Option 1- Now't, and try to stay ahead of the rest of the motley crew[ (JP / SR etc;)] a good crack & end up maybe 3rd or 4th in class 5.

Option 2- Hellier 10k plus upgrade, in a vain attempt to close in on class 5 hottie DJ. 😬

Option 3- Light engine work over, flowed head / racier cams / remap & see how it goes in class 5.

Option 4- Hellier + move to slicks & go how do they say it, Brodie baiting I think was the term 😬 😬

In my honest opinion Darren and withouit sounding like an arse - this year is your first season - many of the venues you have been to this year by your own admission you didnt even know what was around the first corner and yet you were on the pace from the start *thumbup* 😬. Experience of venues counts for far, far more certainly far more than 30bhp ,or a change of tyres in my opinion.

Chill out mate, I bet you will be 1-2 seconds quicker everywhere next year without any changes what so ever - just by having venue knowledge. *smile*

Gotta say its not a prospect that fills me with joy *wink* *wink* *wink* *wink* 😬 *thumbup*

I agree with Dave.

Anyway you still have to put that power onto the track don't you. And as DJ said without speaking out of turn I think that has to be one of Daves problems this year. The engine is clearly both powerful and sweet but if you can't apply the power *mad*

And even more anyway's are we out there to win because we have spent the most, got the most powerful or the most fantastic car or because we enjoy the competition. I do want the car to be more powerful, etc. But I must say I prefer the competition.

I remember when I was 16 *confused* and racing MotoX at national level I won the South Wales championship easily that year simply because I had a bike ( a Cagiva) with a huge bhp advantage. It handled like an absolute pig, but I was agood starter and was then able to out power anyone who came after me. The bike had 36 bhp at the rear wheel when all the Jap bikes had only 33 at the flywheel.

Anyway it wasn't as much fun as having one hell of a dable through a race and loosing.

Just my thoughts.

Next year I will have a supercharged busa, traction control, CSR 😬 😬 😬 😬

MY 51VEN

Give it some Welly

Very interesting situation this one

Dave, I am sure you are right to a degree.

Hopefully with a bit of previous knowledge of each course I will be going faster at the same venues next year, but then again so will you guys[;) Looking at this years times in relation to last years they are miles faster

Dave the big eye opener for me was at York, which neither of us had been to before, so level playing field for the both of us.

I don't think there was much left to come out of the driver or car & I still got beaten by 1.4 seconds, could I have won with the same power 🤔 I will never know 😬

Like most of us I am competitive & want to win as much as the next man, unfortunatly for me you guys are no numptys when it comes to peddeling a 7 round a track as quick as possible 😬 😬, I fear without more mumbo from the engine department I will never record a class win ☹️ ☹️

Anyway ,should not be a problem when Dave goes to class 6 😬 😬 & Simon you did say you were feed up with ACB10's & will be using radials for next year 😬 😬

Edited by - DSL on 15 Jul 2005 21:20:21

My problem wasnt so much couldnt get the power down - if anything the power delivery is easier as the engine is less peaky allowing me to use a another gear, but I made too many changes at once last winter - I completly lost track on suspension , brakes, engine and tyres . Lesson to be learned there ! ☹️

Its only now that Ifeel I'm getting into some sort of setup that suits me and thats taken 12 events ☹️.

never mind we will be in the new Class 4b next year - havent you heard *tongue*

A really intreasting discussion.

I think you will be quicker next year just because you will know the lines. I made a few changes to my set up over the winter and it has made a big diffrence.

The power thing is always going to be an issue, and when we see more Durtecs thing might change again. It was intresting to see Brodie's and Dave's times in the sprints they both did with ACB 10s.

What would be the ultamate class 5 seven? Durtec, K series, SV, CRS.

David