Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Black plastic bolt for fixing little leather strap to door

grumpy the 7th

Think they are M4, if not then M5. I wouldn't use the plastic ones - they break too often. I replaced a brken one with a proper screw out of the parts box. Motor factors, DIY shops and (bizarrely) supermarkets sell assortment boxes of nuts and bolts for a few quid - it's very useful and means that you don't have to make a half hour trip to Halfords for yet another 75p blister pack to do a 5 minute job on one of the cars, a bike, lawnmower or whatever. *thumbup*

Grant. I think a number plate bolt is a bit thicker, but good thought.

BOSS. I always take off every nut, bolt & washer off anything I ever throw away so I've got loads of bolts/nuts/washers/junk in boxes but nothing plastic that fits. I'd prefer plastic as I don't want the female thread to strip.

I'll give CC a bell

rog

C7 TNT - it's like dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )

roger,

which strap is broken..?

the one on the bottom of the door, or the one by your shoulder ?

just been and looked at mine - sorry forgot yesterday. the strap at the bottom of the door is bolted on with a plastic bolt through the door. and the strap at shoulder height is screwed into the metal reinforcing within the door frame.

if its the lower strap - no reason you couldnt drill the hole 'slightly' larger and use a black number plate screw easily available from car bike shops dealerships halfords etc.

if its the higher strap it might be more tricky. the thread is smaller in DIA than a number plate screw unfortunately. i cant find my tap&die set to measure the thread for you, but I can tell you both screws are the same DIA and thread type, so you could remove your remaining one and use that as a guide.

does your car have injection or carbs?

I can also tell you that the plastic bolt/screw have the same thread as the dome headed nuts that hold the chrome plates onto weber 40 carbs *smile*

grant *thumbup*

Gents

it's metric 4m. *thumbup* and it's the shoulder strap

Sandy, there's no need to pay CC for the bits you don't need. I've ground a 4m round bolt head to a countersink shape to fit in the countersink black plastic washer. (to give it a lower fit) Just need to cut it to length and fit the strap. *thumbup*

rog

C7 TNT - it's like dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )