Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Worrying rattle

ianrm

Got back from a quick evening blat to Larne last night (even spotted another seven - v usual in NI)

Unfortunately when I got home there was an awful rattle somewhere in the engine bay. It's not a regular rattle (that could be perhaps connected to circular motion) and I thought it sounded like the alternator but there is no visible play when I give it a good wobble. I've had the cam belt cover off an it's not from there but I can't seem to pin the noise down.

I don't think it's the water pump as it sounds like it's from the other side of the engine. Any ideas?

The only thing that happened during the blat was that I hit the rev limiter once - I don't tend to do that very often.

By the way it's a 1.4K SS

I suppose to check if it is the alternator bearings I have to take it off.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Ian

It doesn't seem to get worse - only faster as the engine revs rise. The noise is definately an irregular rattle, like something dangling into a wheel and bouncing off (that's me just trying to help you visualise or auralise? the noise - not actually what is happening).

It does sound like a bearing rumble from something but I just can't pin it down - spanners out later I think

Found the problem - the pulley on the end of the crankshaft is spinning freely - I assume there must be a woodruft (sp?) key that has fallen out or something similar.

How do I get the pulley off - I assume you have to jam the flywheel somehow - what's the best way?

Ian

put the car in 1st with the handbrake on.

Beware, the pulley bolt may me an opposite thread.

you may have to 'shock' it off with a sharp hammer blow to the spanner.

Tim

L7 EVN - on the upgradealator

Edited by - Tim_H on 2 Jul 2005 17:29:30

The saga continues -

Got the pulley off with no major problems (thread is normal) and have found that the woodruff key has sheared off. The outside half has disappeared (somewhere on the A8 near Larne I suspect) but the rest of it is inside the serrated cog on the end of the crankshaft.

Obviously I have to take the cambelt off (I have a manual and luckily a new cambelt waiting to go on) - how difficult is it going to be to take off that cog? Is there a puller or is it just a matter of prising it off with as little force as possible. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of room to get any purchase on it.

Next question - I have a pair of vernier pulleys waiting to be fitted too. Now would seem to be a good time to put them on and time them up properly later. I assume I just leave them set at '0'. If I line up the cams before I take off the pulleys will the cams move at all under pressure of the valve springs or will they stay put?

Also anyone have a spare bottom pulley? - the keyway on mine has been damaged and worn away and I wouldn't have confidence in it staying put if put back on. Heavy aren't they - is there an opportunity to save some weight here?

getting there one step at a time!

Edited by - ianrm on 3 Jul 2005 10:20:26