Click here if you are having website access problems ×

converting 1.6k SS to superlight

Richard J Darnell

After much thought I have decided not to swap my 1.6 SS for a superlight. Instead I want to upgrade my current car to as close to superlight spec without being silly.

What I mean is I don't want to spend lots of money on things which IMO only make a very small difference eg. buying all the carbon bits which will only save a small amount of weight.

So far I've dumped the spare wheel carrier and have switched to 13" wheels.

I'm also going to get the 6 speed box as I mention on another thread.

So what is the next big thing to do? ie. what is the obvious thing a driver would notice jumping from my car into a superlight (assuming the superlight has a windscreen)?

The other things I have identified as possible future upgrades are:

widetrack front suspension

uprated brakes

what are the other big differences (if any)?

General consensus is that the wide track is a waste of cash so I wouldn't bother with that (I should stress that I've not driven a wide tracked car, but as the std. one can be made to handly so sweetly why bother).

Brakes are a big one - Caterham are doing an offer at the minute which gives the fronts at 800 incl. fitting and VAT. Lovely piece of kit and do give more stopping power IME. You can get a nicer pedal feel and a bit more hpmooo by tinkering with pads/fluid/master cyl. but you still don't have the power of the 4pots.

LSD is also fitted to the SL. I've only just had this fitted (the "winter projects" list was done at the beginning of winter wink.gif) and without a comparative go on the track it's hard to see just how much difference this has made. I suspect quite a lot but I've not wanted to tank it too much on the public highway (officer). It is more lively at the back end now so...

Adjustable platforms are a must. You can't play with the handling without and you can make a vast difference with this. I have these and will probably adjust them having had the LSD fitted, but they made a huge difference when I first had them fitted a while back.

With the 6spd, that's pretty much it.

Newer SL's have a Watt's linkage on the rear suspension I think, but again I wouldn't get too upset about not having it.

After that it's personal honing for power, handling and goodies like the carbon odds and sods.

Note that it is cheaper to trade in. Even without the carbon these bits are going to add the thick end of 4-4.5k. But cheaper doesn't necessarily mean it's a better option. Honest mum.

What would I do first? 6spd, then the adjustables, then the brakes then the LSD.

Oh, and if you don't have a competition exhaust, that'd be worth looking at too (looks and sounds great and should suit when you upgrade for more power. You will).

I have just been in the same position as you with my 1.6ss, I wanted bigger rad, brakes, 6-speed, Widetrack, LSD and a bit more power... it worked out cheaper to trade the car in for a new superlite. So thats what I did...

Traded car insad.gif... Empty Garage at the momenteek.gif, New Superlight on orderteeth.gif... Can go Blatting for a whileeek.gif!!! B u g g e rconfused.gif

Two thoughts:

1. You could go to James Whiting and have the work done with the excellent Alcon brakes and Leda adjustable dampers etc.

2. Upgrading may be a false economy. Ordering a new 2002 'numbered' Superlight to your exact spec may be the better long term approach.

Mad Manx

There are 2 reasons why I've decided not to buy a superlight (yet!).

1. cost

2. the enjoyment of upgrading

On the cost side a superlight with the extras I want such as paint and weather gear comes close to 21k (and I'd have to build it)

I have dismissed the option of buying second hand because all the cars I've seen compare unfavourably with the condition of my current car (I'm very fussy!)

My 1998 1.6k SS with 7k miles is probably worth no more than 14k in the current market (?? - tell me if I'm wrong) so it's cheaper to upgrade just the bits that matter to me ie. the gearbox, brakes and suspension, rather than find 7k for a new car. This is especially true if by carrying out these few upgrades I get something not far off a Superlight type driving experience.

On the enjoyment side, I have found, like many others, that upgrading is half the fun.

By upgrading a bit at a time it helps me evaluate the benefits (or not) of each upgrade in isolation.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy an R500 if I want one (and I've been very close to doing just that!) but for the time being I think the upgrade route is for me.

I have had a standard ss and a superlight the sl is loads better mainly through the 6 speed but the wide track does help with turn in, but really needs to be linked with adjustable platforms if you are not to sure about springs start of with the caterham variable rate ones as these are superb all rounders and many people will say still the best for the rear even when the fronts have been uprated.

As for the brakes I can't praise the AP setup enough but one thing I was thinking today was contact AP as the do the caliper on it's own for around £100.

The slippy diff in my mind is ecential for fun driving just try doing a donught without one!!!!!!

Once all this is done then you have the perfect car to perform a 190BHP 1.6 conversion on from DVA's web site.

Keith Pickering

now superlight lesssad.gif

Richard - go for the upgrades smile.gif You sound quite like me in your rationale (mine was helped at the time as I was wanting more power and very few places were doing K upgrades, plus the R engine (R500 wasn't around) was v.expensive) so go for it, enjoy it and don't do too much totting up of the totals!

As I noted, I've not driven a wide track car and I think Keith has driven both (how are things Keith?). But I honestly think tyres and suspension set up rather than track are the key.

I've noticed a difference in turn in between A021Rs and A032Rs, and slicks are even more "urgent" in this respect. If you're not using soft rubber on your new wheels, get some as the first step (A021Rs are the best all round road/track tyre IMO).

Tweaking the suspension also released a massive amount of potential speed in the car too as it made me more confident and comfortable with the handling.

The one bummer about evaluating effectiveness of upgrades is that you've spent the cash by the time you notice little difference! But there you go...

Also consider a carbon dash. Subjective I know but I think they look great, *much* nicer than the ali thing. They're about 200 quid if you slot in your current instruments, but you do spend a lot of time in front of it!

And maybe a smaller steering wheel if you're using >250mm, perhaps removable (helps ingress/egress and adds occasion to the car!).

If you want any specifics on upgrades feel free to drop me a mail. I have all my receipts etc (there are lots) and can maybe give you some more detailed input in the transition from Supersport (mine was a 1400K) to SL/SLR/SLR+.

cheers Andy

I've already got the sticky tyres (AO21Rs) and a MOMO steering wheel (but not quick release).

Like the idea of a Carbon dash though.....

I realise the upgrade route is almost certain to end up more expensive, but that's hobbies for you!

I'm trying to resist the temptation of increasing the power (the car is plenty fast enough on the road) but I'm sure I will give in before long. smile.gif

Richard... last year I changed cars for the same reasons as you but my old car (1.4ss) lacked so much that a new car was best option, your list isn't that big... go for the upgrade and Having moved to WT I d second the opinion, certainly on the road I think set up is more important.. I'm having a nightmare getting my car to be as sweet as the 1.4 which was Beautiful in handling terms (credit to builder Chas berger)

Tricks

Y57 CDS "Mutley"