Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Swarf in my oil

frankyknuckles

When removing the blue plate from the dry sump system, I was amazed to find several large pieces of swarf on it. All pieces were at least 4 to 5mm in length and about 2mm thick. From memory I think there were at least 5 large pieces. They looked exactly like swarf you would find on a lathe after turning some metal.

When draining the oil from the sump (I have a drain plug in my dry sump pan) there was no evidence of any swarf, just the usual fine particles on the sump plug magnet.

The swarf had abviously circulated into the bell housing and been blocked by the gause in the engine feed exit.

I'm pleased I went to the trouble of changing the blue plate *thumbup*

www.R300.net

no, it's the 5th.

1st time at 500 miles, drained via dry sump plug and oil supply pipe from bottom of bell housing

2nd time at 4200 miles, ditto

3rd time (I presume) by CC when replacing CRB

4th time, approx 6000 miles, drained via oil supply pipe from bottom of bell housing (not so long ago when CRB was replaced)

5th time, 7000 miles, drained by removing blue plate and from dry sump plug.

So it's the first time I have removed the blue plate since build 7000 miles ago.

www.R300.net

when you built it , did you follow the instructions about cleaning out the bell housing, it is quite prescreptive I think in what you have to do...

I only say this becuase I didn't do a decent job of cleaning it out, and when I did my first drain I had simialr results 😳 the consenus of various people was

1. I didn't clean the bell housing/tank properly prior to installation 😳

2. there is a gauze somewhere in one of the pipes/unions which would stop this swarf getting through

3. once at the bottom you should be ok *confused*

I have since had no problems and that was 15000 hard miles and numerous oil changes ago *thumbup*

you maybe ok *thumbup*

rob

When I was building the car, I dis wash out the bellhousing with water, I also had a problem with the oil temp sender (I snapped it off). My father took the whole bellhousing to his machine shop and a guy drilled out the oil sender and replaced with new item. When he did this, the technition blasted out all swarf using high pressure air and returned all swarf to me in small bag. The swarf was similar to that shown in the link above. I wonder if some (most of it) remained in the bell housing?

The gause in question is a tube about 4 to 5 inches long that is inserted into the bellhousing during assembley. It fits into the lower oil pipe that supplies the engine. I remember that this gause was fine enough to stop all large debris such as the swarf.

The swarf in question looks like drill filings, so it could be from work done on the bellhousing post casting ?

www.R300.net

Dave, I'll check out the magnetic thing later tonight.

I've never drained via the blue plate since build.

I suspect it has been in there since build.

Oil pressure when cold at idle is 62psi, hot idle is 30(ish)psi

Driving pressure is (I think) upwards of 62psi (but will check more closely over the next few days).

www.R300.net

This all looks pretty normal to me.

I went to a fair bit of effort to clean out the bell housing DS tank, but I still got that sort of stuff the first time I took the blue plate off. The oil is obviously better at flushing this sort of stuff out of the nooks and crannies, then water or compressed air is.

I don't get it any more.

The bell housing has various bits of maching done to it: mounting face for conning tower/top cap, mounting face for blue plate, mounting faces of bell housing to engine and gearbox, tapping of several holes. This must be where it comes from.

Those bits of metal can't come from the engine sump as they'd have had to pass through the gauze filter at the entrance to the scavenge pipe. No chance.

Don't worry.

Edited by - Nick Green on 29 Jun 2005 10:45:59