Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Red Colour - what is the code?

bstark

• Leadership Team

Hi,

Here’s one question I can answer after having gone through frustrating times trying to get the paint code also. Caterham seemed to be less than willing to help out. You can buy small pots of matched paint from them, but not an aerosol.

Tony Weale’s excellent book lists the colour as “ICI 0438 (Post Office Red), B.S. 538”. However, I could not find any paint shops that could recognise this coding, and apparently there are several “Post office” reds.

In the end, a helpful motor factors in Slough mixed me a tin, the formula for which was

TB 40-61.0

11-65.3

54-82.4

59-101.7

I’ve no idea what any of the above means, but it provided me with a perfect match (as far as I can see) against the paint on my ’91 SuperSprint.

Hope that helps,

Michael.

Michael - thanks for that, it's a good starting point!

Elie - 'bodge repair' is probably an accurate desription. I just need it to spray the replacement number plate cradle that should be arriving any day (see Chitchat thread 'Bloody Rabbits'), so an aerosol finish in the correct colour would be fine.

If anyone has found a good aerosol match for 'Post Office Red' can they let me know?

Bob Stark

Supersprint first-timer

• Leadership Team

Bob,

Many motor factors can mix paints for you to a given spec, and it's not that expensive - 7 or 8 pounds if I remember properly. I suggest you try that as I could not find a car match that had that colour composition.

Good luck,

Michael.