Click here if you are having website access problems ×

So what would you buy.....

Steve Robinson

Interested in your opinions. The rules are as follows:

You have up to £17k to buy a car and trailer, you have time to find exactly what you want. the brief is:

The car must be very very (very very) competitive in class 3.

What would you buy? Options in the mix I guess are Superlight 1600 (with light engine tuning??), superlight 1800, supergrad plus tweaks, supersport plus more tweaks or cheap X-flow with loads of money thrown at it.

Or would you say sod that and buy a bike engined monster for a laugh 😳

Steve

well the leaders in class 3 are both running 1800K superlights

of course none of the 1600's are running modified heads/ecu etc so they may be more competitive if they where (like in class 2)

and most of the class 3 records have now fallen to 1800K's vs xflows....but if Dave McFarlane was still competting that may be different....

17K should be able to get you any of the options mentioned, but IMO if you want to be very very very competitive then an all steel xflow on a decent setup should be the class of the field, of course you may sacrifice a bit of reliability and may have to look after it a bit more than a standard/SS K

just my 2ps's worth

rob

PS of course you woul dbe better off with a SLR ;)

Steve

my 1st thought before childrens bath time.

Trailer £1000 - £1500

Wheels and ACB10s £800 - £1000

so lets say 2k

so 15K on the car.?

but ajustable shocks £500 -£1200

this leave you with 14k

if you get a 1.6 the cost of head work + ecu ??

need a ltd slip diff

options

1.an ex race supergrades (i think) 6 speed, wide track, LSD 1.6 ss.

then head work and ECU. You might pick up an extra set of wheels in the price.

Nitron shocks

2. 1.8ss would need LSD

3. 1.8 x power, newer than as 1.8ss ? does not rev as high as 1.8ss not driven one so unsure of how the power is dilivered.

I think the ex race car would give you more scope it a SL without the carbon. Not sure if you would get a 1.8 for 14k to 15k with the spec you would like.

It all depend on whats about, and if 17k is 17k or is it 17k + consumables (tyres ect)

David

SL #146

• Area Representative

What about something like this here

If its full "Roadsports A" spec, it should also have an LSD (that this one doesn't list), but does have 135bhp, 6 speed, wide track.

If I were to start again, I think this is the sort of thing I'd look for.

Steve

I think David is spot on with the numbers and Richard's thoughts on an ex racecar must give you the most spec per pound. I'm not sure what's what with the racecar specs but you'll need 6 speed, LSD and widetrack (you did say you wanted it to be very very competitive). Big brakes might not be that critical for sprinting, decent pads in the standard jobs might be OK.

Do you like Blue & Yellow 🤔

Adrian

You could do much worse than buying my brothers road legal 1.8k Tracksport ( the limited edition caterham did in 2003 i think ) the setup is just fantastic!!!

Just a little over your budget i think

Do a search for Caterham Tracksport and tell me i'm wrong

The car has 2 sets of wheels

And there is also a Minno Trailer

Dave

Edit And it also has all the weather gear ,lights etc so road legal

Edited by - Modena on 28 Jun 2005 21:06:10

• Area Representative
...and widetrack (you did say you wanted it to be very very competitive).

Ah, that must be where I'm going wrong! I haven't got wide track. (how many seconds a run will that give me?)

Dave *thumbup* 😬

The blue and yellow Roadsport Race looks like the kind of thing, but unless it is still there in 3 months (always possible at CC) then I will have to let that one go.

So where is the best source for these spec cars, I can go to the graduates site for the supergrad stuff but not the roadsport A race cars. What series were these from?

Modena - did a search and couldn't find your brothers car, can you post a link to it?

Steve

Steve

By September you will have competitively driven 3 of the 4 front running (based on results at MIRA) class 3 cars. At that point you'll have a better idea than anyone else what's needed, I’m afraid £17K including trailer wont be enough ‘very very competitive’ unless you go down the ex race car route.

In the meantime I’ll start taking bets on your August time at Curborough. In May you set a time of 62.00 using Rob’s 1600, will the smart money be on you improving that using David’s 1800 😳

Adrian

Steve: Did you see DrJohn's Crossflow . . . . 200+bhp and mega developed. It would make a kick 🙆🏻 class 3 car as long as it was registered (MOT is no probs if you take everything off). He was selling it with a trailer, spare wheels, the lot, for something like £12K IIRC. You could have spent a bit moving the motor back a couple of inches and then reset all the class 3 records.

Must get the Gigabusa finished *smile*

Adam - didn't see it. 200 BHP would be tempting, but somehow doesn't seem to be in the spirit of class 3. Would hate to do well simply by having HUGE power, any victories would feel a bit hollow I suspect.

Not wishing to start the whole regs debate again, but 200 BHP would do OK in class 5 let alone 3 *wink*

Steve