Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow pistons

Terry Field

I have the four pistons which came out of my original 1600 XFlow when I had it bored out. These are bog standard pistons and as far as I can tell they are undamaged. They were working well on the old 1600 save for some oil blow by, which I think was rings.

I'm not sure if these are any good to anyone, but they are free subject to a donation to NTL (and probably collecting them!)

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

Peter,

Sounds a good trade off. I hope to go to the Horsham meet on the 5th, failling that I will be at the next Wotton Hatch meet.

Incidentally, I heard back from Aldon who have the dizzy. The tell me that it had been 'tampered with' before, which may have been part of the problem, but they are confident that they can get a good result with it. They have dialled in 7deg advance and rebushed it.

Cheers

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Peter, I was hoping to get to the Surrey meet last week to give you the pistons and have a chat about the car, but I ended up at Steve Greenalds on the Rolling Road again. I will try to get to the next meet, but if you are in a hurry for them, let me know and I will arrange to get them to you.

On th engine front, I had the dizzy recalibrated, rebushed and generally set up as requested by Steve, but it still hasn't done the trick. The engine makes about 143bhp and 133 Ft/lbs but wont rev above 6,200 and still predetonates especially in the mid range when pulling hard in third.

Steve spoke to Vulcan, the engine builders, to try to get to the bottem of it, but neither of them can be sure. The only possibility they have come up with so far is a rogue cam which would mean an engine out job!

I am waiting to speak to Vulcan myself to see how they want to take it forward, but no one seems to have an answer at the moment. Although the power is there or there abouts, the engine sounds like a bag of bolts to drive, and I'm concerned about holing a piston or something equally expensive.

Cheers

Terry