Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side Repeaters - MOT

cskip

Apologies if this has already been covered.

Are Side Repeater required for an MOT on a 1994 car? Or do they have to work only if fitted?

I know I can find a garage that will ignore this requirement, but I am interested in what the MOT regs state.

Skip.

West Hants Luddite

See CSKIP here

• Support Team

Ooh...one of my hobby horses 😬.

The regulations are here. Interpret them as you will. My interpretation and that of my local MOT tester is that as long as the indicators can be seen while standing at the rear of the car, 1m to the side then they pass.

Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

IMHO theres no way the front indicators can be seen by standing 1000mm from the side of the vehicles rear bumper, and as they arent E-marked side repeaters are mandatory.

I guess a lot of MOT testers take the car 'as is' and look for things which have worn rather than things which should be there but arent....

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Mines a '94 car and my MOTer said they need to be visible from the side so it's a bit open to interpretation depending on where you stand!

I couldn't be arsed with the hassle of wondering if it would get through every time I took it so fitted some - dead easy job and I don't think they look that bad anyway + there is the safety benefit

BRG De-dion, 2Ltr Dunnel Zetec 165, now with slippy diff 😬

"These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on"..." If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable"

Unless you have transparent bulb holders there's no way you can directly see the light when standing at the back of the car....

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Edited by - Nick Woods on 24 Jun 2005 21:54:19

Skip, my car has never had side repeaters and its beenthrough MOT's at loads of different garages and got through.

I was trying to decide whether to fit some, like Martins (flat ones) as they do offer some safety benifits *cool*

• Leadership Team

This one has been done to death - do a search in the archives. Simply, the indicators on the 7 are E-marked for vehicle use but not to double as side view, therefore repeaters must be fitted. This applies to any 7 of any age, SVA or not. Many owners get away without them because either the tester doesn't realise or doesn't know enough detail about the test. Generally later cars are fitted with them because the SVA tends to pick it out.

Stu.