Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Respect for top drivers...

fatcat

I did a days testing up at Snett yesterday in the CSR. Great fun, only 5 other cars so open pitlane all day but wow, was it hot and humid, almost tropical. Track temperature was over 55 degC ! I did a 45 minute stint late morning and was starting to feel a bit rough and as I was running low on fuel, it was time to come in. Staggered out of the car - could barely pull myself out through the roll cage - and damn nearly collapsed from heat exhaustion or something. Several gallons of water and and hour later I was feeling a lot better. How the F1 drivers & others can race for two hours in much greater heat & humidity with far higher G-forces is beyond me - serious respect. P.S. overalls etc can be washed, but has anyone come across a good solution to a revoltingly sweaty helmet, the lining doesn't seem to come out for washing ?

Mike - I always wear a balaclava too, but you're right, in hot conditions it doesn't do much to protect the helmet lining.

Shaun - wow, CF helmet, very neat but the I guess it should be at some 650 notes ! Not sure I'd have the nerve to wear one though, I think the rest of the paddock would take the p1ss 😬 However maybe there are more consrvative ones with removable linings, I'll investigate.....although the racing budget is looking pretty stretched already !

I'll be racing in Valencia next weekend - apparently its around 40 degC out there....think I'm gonna melt 😳 (OK I know I'm not going to get any sympathy *wink*

The top drivers spend a lot of time training on fitness for this reason.

They also take on as much fluid as poss beforehand.

Remember Nigel M not only racing hard but pushing his car over finishing line and then collasping!

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Club meeting pics here