Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Scuttle Off!!

Harry Flatters

Sunday mornings' job is to remove the scuttle to change dash to carbon.

Everything looks fairly straightforward except for the 2 flush rivets, one each side in the rearward corner just in front of the s/s sill protector. At present they are absolutely flush with the scuttle surface and are painted. I can drill them out OK but what do you replaced them with? Are they special rivets or are they just standard ones ground down and painted once the scuttle has been fitted?

Any night birds with any answers??

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Hi Steve,

Yes, in California we are awake ! On my 1963 Lotus super Seven Cosworth, the rivets you refer to are screws on my car. They just screw into the "hoop" that the dash is attched to. The holes are just tapped with a size #6-32 thread and the machine screws are sort of ornamental with chrome heads.

Hope this helps

Tony Bates

SB 1761 - 1963 Lotus super Seven Cosworth

I drilled mine out when I first removed the scuttle about 5 years ago. Never bothered replacing them with anything when I put the scuttle back and they've been missing since then. Not a problem. Later cars, post 96 perhaps, the scuttle design changed to fully flush and they don't have this small overlapping bit on the scuttle that needs the rivet.