Click here if you are having website access problems ×

starter motor that doesn't even just click anymore?!

Jaseb

The starter on my zetec started getting a bit tempramental, sometimes fine then occasionally just the click, that got worse on the way back from Le Mans and we lost the click so it was a push start job. I changed the starter yesterday evening and this one's just the same, no click and definitely no brum brum ☹️

I guess the problem lies elsewhere in the electrics - any ideas?! Where should I start looking?!

• Support Team

Jase - presuming that your battery is at full strength, could it be the cable to the starter? Either one of the connections is loose or the cable itself is degraded in some way. I did read a post somewhere about the connector at the end of the cable not being firmly attached. I suspect this is the best area to start looking. If this resolves your problem please can you come and sort out my electrics too 🤔

Is the solenoid a separate item or was it replaced with the starter? If separate then could be that - loads of posts on here about solenoid fixes.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Hi Shaun, I didn't think to check the battery... *confused* stoopid boy, I'll maybe try jump starting it off the big car when I get home. Having said that the battery has just done 800 miles or so to and from Le Mans, I'm starting to question the alternator (again!!!) will have to dig out the multimeter (again!!!) and have a poke around (again!!!) 🙆🏻

The solenoid was new with the motor ie fixed to the side so I was kinda hopin it would be fine although I will be lagging it properly this time to see if that makes a difference *thumbup*

Edited by - JaseB on 22 Jun 2005 14:31:31