Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Alternator 1.4 K ss

Sheds Moderator

I have had a second alternator die, only 2 years after I last repaired it. Car is a 96 1.4 K ss.

It's a Mag Marelli Unit, marked "reconditioned in France" and with p/no GXE 2119 I understand this to be a Unipart number, the unit was fitted to Rover 820s between 86 and 88. Output 65A. The last time the alty packed up I took the old unit to a factor here in France and got a replacement regulator, ref Lucas UCB 152. This is what I suspect has failed.

This time I am getting one shipped from the UK - £20 plays £70 and wins.

Obviously I will check out the charge circuit and check for breaks and shorts which might have caused the unit to go down so soon.

Question to the panel - is it possible that the Lucas reg that I bought in France is not the right one and that it can't handle the 65A output? Have I just been unlucky? Is all Lucas gear rubbish?

Discuss.

(20 marks total, suggested 40 minutes)

BOSS,

Sorry I haven't replied to your E-mail.

I wish to keep my reconditioned alternator for now ... but it would appear you're sorted anyway.

See you at A&T's do *thumbup* *thumbup*

Nifty.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

BOSS

The 3 wire alternator I have is a Magneti Marelli with the following information on the sticker: 54022631 12V (serial number?) & Type: A127-55.

As I said before this was purchased from CC in 1999 as a spare for a 1994 K 1.4 SS & has never been used.

Mick

Thanks for the offer Allen but in fact I'm a long way from MC. Le Mans, now that I am near, an hour and a bit to be precise. In fact I'm going to be spending a good deal of time in the UK in the coming weeks with my work (in Hull... 😳) and other things so a UK delivery is easiest.

Thanks all the same. *thumbup*