Click here if you are having website access problems ×

heater pipes on k series

RiF

Just started my first proper job on a seven! already have a problem, and its only on changing the heater pipes!

It is a K series 1.6, 1997 model. I have the silicon hoses from Caterham. Problem is the end that goes onto the water pump. The water pump has a wider aperture than the diameter of the silicon hose. I am referring to the main pipe not the smaller diameter pipe. Space is zero so cannot work it on.

Do I need to take the pump out? If so, is it just the one bolt with the dip stick attached and a lever out?

I also wanted to remove a windscreen support bolt (allen key type) to put on a side mounted tax disc holder. How much force will this bolt take? What's the other side? I felt that I would possibly snap bolt or rip out the allen key hole if I add any more pressure!

Thanks in advance,

Not sure on the hoses. You could try warming them up slightly. Or find someone with smaller hands to work the hose on! Presumably both ends are the same diameter too (you can tell I didn't fit my own!).

As for the screen, the nut on the other side is far from captive, so it's probably spinning as you're turning the allen (outside) end.

I've removed the bits of metal that used to cover these nuts (looks fine and gives open access to the nuts. Saves weight too teeth.gif). Prior to this I just used to bend the ali panels out of the way then bend them back when I'd finished.

If yours are riveted you could either drill out the rivets and bend the metal as above, or perhaps drill some socket sized holes on the ali' plate and put a grommit in when done. If you see what I mean (this would need a bit of guess work from the outside as to where they would be from the imside though).

Richard,

The other side of the allen bolt is a nylock nut which needs to be held with a spanner. To access this nut you must remove the knee trim panel. This is held in place by several self tapping screws or rivets through the top edge of the side panel in the footwell (just next to your knee). Once you have removed all the screws/rivets the trim panel can be "jiggled" out. I say jiggled because it is a bit fiddly and also there is sometimes some sticky compound on the inside front triangular face of the panel holding it in place.

Good luck!

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Thanks for the information on the screen. I shall investigate further.

BUT really stuck on this one heater pipe. Anyone any other ideas?

If I can remove the water pump then I reckon I could get the pipe on, but as I have not got a workshop manual on the K engine yet, not sure how it comes off.

Why is nothing ever straight forward on cars?

And I wanted to build one from kit!!!!

The plastic thermostat housing that the pipes attach to, I believe, is only held in place by the bolt that holds the dip stick on.

You could try un-bolting the thermostat housing end, there are thre small bolts, but beware there's working room to do this and it took me a couple of hours (and a lot of cuts and skin off my hands) to change the thermostat using this method.

Andy's idea on warming the pipe in hot water is good - otherwise the only other idea is to take the inlet manifold off to gain some working room.

Regards

Allen

Thanks Allen for your advice. Tryed to undo those bolts but gave up and rung Caterham today.

Bad news for you. You only had to undo that one bolt and lever the thermostat housing off. Only one small cut.

Hose was still difficult to put on. Now the only thing left to do is to put the thermostat housing back on! Will this be as simple?

Richard

Re:- Bleeding - Keith's method of blowing into the expansion tank until coolant comes out of the heater hoses seems to work reliably. Search for the details...

You might well find that removing the radiator will give you much better access to attach the other hoses to engine.

Miraz

In reply to Fast Westie I am in North West France area 49, near to Angers. About 1 1/2 hours from Le Mans. Are you in France?

Re the pipes. Oh another problem! Heater needs different shape pipes than the ones Caterham sold me, so ordered silicon elbows of the same diameters.

Yes you guest it they are different diameters to the heater. Now re ordered reducing elbows, so delay in bleeding.

Thanks everyone, I will look at suggestions on bleeding.

Richard