Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

leaking fuel tank.

conorkaby

several years ago my anti roll bar snapped on a trackday *eek* , as a quick fix - with not a lot to loose I tried some "chemical metal " on the 1/2" hole .

the tank is still OK after all these years *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Chemical metal is avaialable from Halfords and motor places - dead handy to keep a tube in the garage ......

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

If it's strarting to leak because of corrosion it'll be a waste of time trying to repair it cos it'll just spring a leak in the next weakest place.

I wouldn't recommend "Radweld" sort of stuff cos that would just clog up the fuel system + Radweld relies on particles suspended in hot water & on the coolant pressure to clog up the hole. Just imagine what damage it could do to the fuel system not under pressure or at a reasonable temperature.

I'd be more inclined to investigate why the tank corroded in the first place.

Rust need oxygen & water to form so where is the water coming from?

How do you get the dead flies off your teeth....... 😬 R5AAH

I had an old Royal Enfield years ago which sprang a pin hole leak on the bottom of the fuel tank. Cleaned up the area and sealed it from the outside with Araldite. Never leaked again in the two or three years I kept the bike. Couldn't say the same about the oil exiting the motor from just about everywhere.

Guy

Thankyou all for the input. I'm pretty sure the corrosion began a few years ago when the motor started to misfire. I drained a good half pint of water and muck from the tank but suspect that it had been sitting in there quite some time. I'm now very particular about where I buy my petrol down here. I'm going to try the araldite approach and see howe that works out.

Thanks again.

unless you seal it properly internally, you'll get the problem I had with my Dolly Sprint - it kept stopping for no apparent reason. Flakes of rust in the tank would block the pickup in the tank.

You can get stuff to clean the inside of the tank, followed by a sealant to tip all around inside it to seal loose rust and seal pinpricks.

Bri