Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K fuel-filters - now sorted

Myles

Hmmph.

Decided to change my fuel-filter today (it's done 20k).

Searched techtalk - found that it should be an MGF part (possibly 97 vintage.

Got one from Halfrauds - took it home. Faffed the old one off, connected the bottom (in) hose.

Arse. The top connector is the wrong size.

Phoned Millwoods - nobody in the workshop - but the chap did say that they used to source all their parts independantly, but ran into this kind of problem - so sourced everything straight from CC to cut out the hassle...

Re-read TT - one mention of a Rover 214 part. Back to Halfrauds. Nothing on the shelves was suitable.

Took it to Motorworld (the only motor-factorish place open in the afternoon) - they looked it up (old one was a UNipart GFE7119 - if I remember correctly). No sign of it in the book - mind you, their stocks were pitiful - so it probably didn't matter...

So - old filter back on. *mad*

So - if it isn't an MGF 95-on then HF can't help.

I can try my more reliable factor on Monday (by phone - can't get to them untilSat morning) and get them to order the Unipart - or I can follow Millwood's suggestion and pay extra to get it from CC.

Unfortunately, my local Rover place probably can't help - I think they *are* trading again, but only half-heartedly.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 26 Jun 2005 13:02:14

I remember doing mine when I first got my second hand Seven some 6 years ago. Due to general water/crap etc the feed 'U' pipe union was corroded onto the filter. Cost me a tenner for the filter and about 11 ukp for the pipe!!! Put some grease around the union to prevent corrosion taking hold.

Elie - I saw that list elsewhere in BC - but the one I took off was Unipart GFE 7119.

Unless they've changed the part-numbering, I suspect that mine is different.

Certainly, the MGF one I tried from HF wasn't a perfect match - same size, same inlet connector, but smaller outlet connector...

ISTR the fuel filter I took off my car last year, had some sort of extension nut thingy in the top IIRC...

Ended up getting a new J pipe thingy from CC, to replace the original squared off job and extension nut, and a filter for a 214 (not 25) from Halfrauds. Might be able to look up the part number tonight...

The full story is a bit more involved than that, with different ends on different Rover-type filters, a non-sealing joint and a bit of swearing but the solution wasn't that tricky in the end.

• Support Team

Just to add confusion, I walked into my local motor factors and asked for an MGF fuel filter which they had in stock and it fitted with no problems - sorry don't have the part number. I did have to remove one of the adaptor pieces from the J tube so I suspect that could be part of the problem.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Right, found and fitted the correct filter today.

The halfrauds part no. is HFF217 - it's listed as being from the early 16v fuel-injected Metros (as suggested by CC tech-help).

I've picced the install, so it'll go up on the site eventually.

oh - top-tip: Try not to spill petrol on asphalt - it kinda turns it into putty. Not rocket-science, but more instant and dramatic than you might expect. *smile*