Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Replacing rear copper brake pipes with flexi

Mike Bees

I've just done this using the Goodridge flexi-hoses supplied by Caterham for the purpose, and would like to confirm that I've got it right...

Each flexi-hose has a male fitting at one end (with a very long thread) and a female fitting at the other. The threaded part of the female end can be turned without the whole hose turning. Also in each bag (one bag per hose, so 2 bags, 1 left, 1 right) is a male-to-male connector and a 'free' nut which fits onto any of the male ends. One bag also had a copper washer in it...

I've put the 'free' nut on the long-threaded male end of the hose and screwed this end of the hose into the T-piece on the DD tube. When tight in the T-piece I've done up the nut to lock the whole assembly together.

I've screwed the male-to-male connector into the caliper, and then attached the female end of the hose to the male-to-male connector.

I haven't found a use for the lone copper washer...

Is this right?

Mike

Mike.

Did this a couple of weeks back.

I didn't use the free-nut on the long-males... Not sure it makes any difference.

No need for the copper-washers in this application.

Other than that, you've got it right (or at least - the same as me...)

You want to make sure there is no torque in the hose when the caliper is in its normal position - so don't lock the rotating section at the caliper-end until you;ve sorted this bit.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thinking of doing this mod myself - wondering how you removed the old 'P' clips holding the solid pipes to the De-Dion tube (can you get a drill on them somehow?)

...and do you clip the new flexi lines along the De-Dion in their place?

Thanks.

*thumbup*

Peter

Red Roadsport SV

FP53FHB

P-clips? Didn't have those in '97, the copper pipe was just secured to the DD tube with cable ties. I guess it's an SVA thing? The braided flexi-hose is considerably larger in diameter than the copper pipe, so it might not fit (or might be squashed by) the clips.

Mike

HAVE JUST REPLACED MY HOSES,HAD A WORD WITH CC BEFORE FITTING,YES SPARE NUT IS A LOCK NUT ON T PIECE ALSO THE COPPER

WASHER GOES ON BETWEEN T PIECE AND LOCK NUT,NOT ESSENTIAL

BUT THATS WHAT THEY DO.BELTS AND BRACES JOB.

WITH REGARD TO P CLIPS .I CUT THROUGH THE THE P CLIP AND THEN HACKSAWED THE TOP OF THE RIVET OFF, ONCE THE TOP OF THE P CLIP HAD BEING REMOVED THEN JUST TAPPED THE REMAINING BIT OF THE RIVET INTO THE DE DION TUBE. TOOK ABOUT 5 MINUTES PER CLIP

BUT LEAVES A NEAT JOB

IMO a much better engineering solution fitting flex brake hoses to the ( Seirra) floating calipers. I am advised that one should never fit a lock nut onto a male fitting that seats into a taper seat ( the Tee on the de dion tube) the reason being that the lock nut is working in opposition to the thread pulling the taper onto its seat. Putting a copper washer under the lock nut would also serve no purpose as any fluid would pass bye the copper washer and leak through the threads *confused*

Rob