Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting trouble

Delberts Wallet

This had just started to happen to my 1.6K series. The Car will start fine when cold but after a run the engine will hardly turn over. The battry is OK, the solenoid clicks but there doesn't appear to be enough to get the thing started. If I leave it for an hour or so it starts first time.

Gareth

Who Dares Twins smile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by - Gareth Harrold on 9 Nov 2001 14:25:19

I had a similar problem, from new, with my previous 1.8 S/S.

It was a faulty starter motor - apparently Caterham used a particular model for sometime that was pretty inefficient. They eventually let me have an improved starter at a discounted price. I had this fitted with the red starter button and the difference was phenomenal.

Incidentally, if you do get a new starter, make sure it comes with the correct wiring connections - mine didn't.

Mad Manx

Check the condition of the starter (small) wire going to the soleniod. My engine will normally start after wiggling that cable.

I don't know if all K-Series cars do it but mine will also blow the 20amp ECU fuse if the starter repeatedly fails to turn over the engine.

Regards

Allen

Edited by - Allen Payne on 9 Nov 2001 15:51:05

Gareth.

With a cold engine, have a look at the small push-on terminal (has the thin wire going to it!) on the said starter. This is rivetted on with some of the designs, but it starts to get loose so hence why 'wiggling' the terminal sometimes helps! If you can, remove the starter and solder the spade teminal to the rivet to 'firm it' up. Refit starter and cable tie the wiring to the soleniod (there is enough room for the c/ties to pass between the main starter body & the solenoid body).

This should ensure that the vibration doesn't create the same problem!

Could of course just be a kna...red starter; this is the cheap way of finding out!

Mine was doing this for a while. Flippin annoying especially as it happened at petrol stations a couple of times.

Starter was taken off, cleaned up and the wires attached firmly (unless in France when the wires inexplicably come loose!). Starts very well now (touch wood as every time I mention something on here it cocks up!).