Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Barnby 8.5" rears, tyres rubbing on radius arms

Mike Bees

Anyone else had this problem? What was different about factory cars shipped with 8.5" MB rear rims & ACB10s to prevent this problem (compared to my '97 Superlight)? I guess I'll have to get some wheel spacers, but I'm sure these aren't standard fitment.

Also, while we're on MB rims, does everyone have a special super-thin socket to do the wheelnuts or do you all accept that the paint just falls off the centres as soon as you touch it?

Mike

My 9" rears fit the radius arm ok. The old style De dion does need grinding down a bit to clear.

The high mounted ARB is a complete no-no.

I popped a standard socket in my lathe and turned it down to fit without scuffing. You don't need much torque on that socket relatviely speaking.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 16 Jun 2005 08:17:24

Strange. I've got stock 8.5" rims with 8" ACB10s and they're slightly rubbing the radius arms both sides (only when cornering I think).

I could get some 3mm wheel spacers, but then there's nothing for the wheel to locate on (other than the studs) which is a bit horrible.

Mike

Mike

this was a known problem on the race SLR's which is why the factory extended the length of the dedion tube for 2003 (I think), this added 10mm to the rear track overall

As far as the wheelnuts I got fedup with changing wheel nuts between different wheel types and probably more specifically a Snap- on thinwall socket still fouled the wheel paint so sold the wheels and went for Compomotives

Mark

The stainless sleeve nuts that CC supply as a replacement for the (badly) chromed nuts have better clearance..as they don't have the extra thickness of chrome which someone way back in the sands of time didn't include in his calcs. Also the washers they supply with them are thicker and lift the nut higher from the wheel face.

Paul

Tor - I would have thought that the ring on the hub is the primary location for the wheel, to ensure that it's centred correctly. Which is why I'm a bit confused about these 3mm spacers...

A 2mm spacer between the ear and the DD tube would solve my problem - especially if it were ground to convert the 1.5deg. ear to 0.5deg!

Mike

Some have used shims to change the angle of the ear, Camber, toe etc. If this does not spread the load evenly across the ear surface the load is too concentrated around the bolt holes and a curb hit may cause them to fail. This has happened...

I suppose a properly machined spacer and longer bolts would be ok though.

It could replace the thin ali plate already there to act a dirt seal to the tube.

Much easier to space the wheels by 3mm or buy the bigger tube if that is not an option.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

My R400 with MB wheels do rub the radius arm

Plenty of clearance when stationary

so the tyre must move considerable to allow for this rubbing

However it saves polishing it *wink*

Rear set up for Avon slick 1.5 ears?

It's going to Caterham on Saturday "so I'll ask the question"

A10ROX:OK, its an R500 without the magnesium bits sump etc and only 205bhp!

>>I would have thought that the ring on the hub is the primary location for >>the wheel, to ensure that it's centred correctly. Which is why I'm a bit >>confused about these 3mm spacers...

On my *completely standard* 1994 1400SS, the front and rear hub spigots are different sizes so I can't get a set of wheels that would locate on these anyway.

The 16" wheels that came with the car did not locate on them front or rear.

I am very careful when fitting wheels to allow the nuts to centre the wheels as I slowly tighten each nut a little at a time.

Obviously this is not an ideal situation but that's Caterham for you, I've never had any other car where all the spigots were not the same size.

(A friend's 1700 Live Axle does have same size spigots fr/rr)

Jerry Parker

L7 SVN

1.4 Supersport