Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Toyo tyres proxess R 888

Jean Leon

*smile*

Hi,

Since a few years i am driving with my caterham on yoko's 21 on the road and with 32' supersoft on track days.(185/60/13 and 205/60/13)At the stoneleigh kit car show i have seen the new TOYO Proxess R 888 on a few high powered westfields. I must say that it is a beatifull and agressive looking tyre.I wonder if they are OK for caterhams.My car has about 185 bhp .Can someone give me some advice about this new tyre which is not expensive.I would only use them for road use.

Regards,

Jean Leon

Belgium

Yoko's 32's and 48's are not great in the wet either. I spoke to the technical director of Toyo UK and he reckoned the tyres were tested against Yoko's and the Toyos performed the same if not better in the wet. Standing water will always be an issue with both these tyres *cool*

Welcome to the forum Jean Leon ... 😬 😬 😬 ... *thumbup*

BTW, ... have you considered the Toyo Proxes T1-S ???

Even cheaper then the R888 and better wet performance ... *wink*

Edited by - Slider@7 on 15 Jun 2005 22:29:40

My guess is:

Handling (dry) is an average lap speed (km/h) - Toyo beats Yoko by 110.8kph to 109.7kph.

Braking (dry) is distance to stop (metres) from 100kph - Toyo beats Yoko by 34.5m to 35.7m.

Aquaplaning is speed at which aquaplaning starts - Yoko beats Toyo by 70.3kph to 64.9kph (big difference!)

Handling (wet) is an average lap speed - Toyo beats Yoko by 73.6kph to 72.6kph

'Kreisbahn' (wet) - hmm, I'm guessing this is the time around a circle in seconds, Yoko beats Toyo by 20.15 to 20.22s.

BUT (a) this test is on a big heavy car, and (b) they'll be medium-compound A048Rs, not the new soft compound, in which case I'd expect the soft compound A048R to whup the 888 in the dry.

Mike

I know someone who's fitted 888's to his SV (15" rims). After one trackday, plus the Heyford Academy day, plus about 1000 miles on the road, the rears have just about worn out.

There is also a thread on chitchat here which mentions Stunner Scudo's at £38 a corner for 195/45x15 - I know nothing about these though

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Edited by - Nick Woods on 16 Jun 2005 11:44:46

Yep, but most people who want a little tyre life, would probably still go for the medium compound, as Polley's reckoned the med compound is the same as the 32 soft and 48 soft is the same as 32 SS.

I'm about to change my tyres from 32's but not sure which to go for, was going to try the Toyo's but now not sure, as wet performance on the road is a critical factor *cool*