Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Doors & keeping cool

DuncanK

Calling on the collective wisdom of blatchat:

Kathryn & I are off to tour Europe beginning of August. Having chosen probably the hottest month of the year, I'm beginning to worry about keeping cool. *confused*

One thing I've noticed is that the standard sidescreens are obviously designed to allow you to undo the lower popper and flap the lower half outwards allowing a nice cooling draft. My question is, does anyone make a prop to fix the door like this? It could be a stick with several poppers to allow it to be fixed at different angles. (Maybe I should patent this idea and make my fortune??? *biggrin*)

Also any recommendations for seat covers to keep my black leather seats cool? I know Angus & Tessa found some red ones somewhere....

Other thoughts on keeping cool? (Knowing my luck it'll probably rain for 3 weeks now! *wink*)

Cheers,

Duncan

Duncan

M7JVL

1.4K with clamshells

(Sheep-liker's 'other half'!)

Hi Duncan,

When I was in Annecy last year, I made very effective use of the Michelin map. Simply turn it upside down and it fits the cockpit of the car perfectly. It also serves as a map. 😬

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*

There is a company in Surrey I think which makes a sort of sun canopy for the seven which keeps the sun off but allows the air through. I think they may have advertised in LF, but someone will no doubt know the details.

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

I've had a look at the Softbitsforsevens website, as I was thinking of buying one of their boot bags (they have a new bigger one in development).

I didn't see anything about sun canopies though. Does this go between windscreen and roll bar? I found a thread saying this doesn't work well above 5mph *eek* as it balloons up. I was planning on going quicker than that....

Duncan

M7JVL

1.4K with clamshells

The yellow 'bikini top' in the photos is the prototype on my car *wink*

It works very well, pops onto screen poppers and then 3 web straps wrap over the rollbar and are tensioned back on themselves using ratchet clasps. It's available in wide range of colours as well *cool*

It has a few other advantages as well;

1. If you don't want to run with the sidescreens on at all then it substantially reduces the bufetting in the cockpit so you can still breathe (tested to well over 100mph - on track of course!)

2. It keeps the rain off the inside of the screen if you get caught in a shower.

3. Even in torrential rain, if you have the sidescreens on and keep above 45mph, very little rain seems to come in through the gap between the top of the sidescreen and the bikini top, or get sucked in the back.

Jill also does a 1/2 hood that curves down the sides to meet the top of the sidescreens, and extends down the back a little. That was the blue one in the Stoneleigh pics and was being tested by Frank. I know he's very pleased with it as well.

Having tried both, the 1/2 top feels a bit more 'enclosed' than the Bikini, but then I'm fairly tall and sit quite high in the car so if you sit lower it's probably not so much of an issue.

They were developed mainly for the USA tour later this year and she's making quite a few at the moment so if you wanted to one she might well have something at her place if you were able to go down there (West Sussex).

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Edited by - Ian B on 15 Jun 2005 15:24:29

• Support Team

Search the archives for details on the "Bikini" hood. There are two types planned for production - one Caterham specific one (blue one in the photos on the above post) and another universal one which attaches to the rollbar, is flat, doesn't come down to meet the doors and is a universal fit for any seven type car (yellow in the photos). I saw the universal one on trial at Cadwell park and other than a small problem with one of the poppers coming undone (problem with the popper rather than the design) I can assure you it worked at a little over 5mph 😬. I ordered the Caterham specific one at the Stoneleigh Kitcar show - its being made at the moment so expect delivery in a week or so.

Edited to say "too slow again" Ian beat me to it - it was his car that I saw at Cadwell.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 15 Jun 2005 14:49:31

*thumbup* Shaun, That was indeed me 'testing' it.

To avoid confusion the flat 'universal' (yellow pic) is now called the Bikini, and the curved Caterham only (Blue pic) is called the 1/2 hood *wink*

(and yes one of the front poppers was a bit loose at Cadwell, but has been crimped a little and is now perfick *cool*)

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Edited by - Ian B on 15 Jun 2005 15:25:24

I strapped a fan to the dash on the Italy tour a couple of years back - attached it to the two center poppers on the dash top.

Also used a fine plant sprayer filled with water - the water evaporating cooled you nicely - spraying it into the back of the fan created a nice effect. I've now got a couple of Misty Mates to do similar. We also used a couple of sunhats - they had an interior band which you made wet - a gel pack inside then kept you magically cooler - worked quite well.

We actually found it very tiring driving in the heat - soon removed the Whimps and held both door flaps open to get a warm breeze through the car. As water carrried anywhere in the car heated up (from engine heat or just the sun) stopping at just about every service area became a necessity to re-stock on ice lollies and more importantly, several more litres of water. And of course, as soon as you hit traffic, the warm breeze stops and you just cook - crawling through Switzerland was not fun! The dash fan become very important - so much I'm thinking of installing another so we each get a high flow on our weeks tour this September.

Driving up in the cooler Alps was much nicer - I have a piccie of the car parked on snow (in high summer), on top of some high pass, in late afternoon/early evening, with Debs sat inside it with only a t-shirt on (plus suitable lower garments of course) - and she feels the cold normally - but it was a pleasant change to the heat lower down.

Never really had any problems with the seats - if you are sat in them, they can't get hot from the sun . . . Leave the car in the shade or with the tonneau on and you should be okay.

But it was still probably the most enjoyable driving I've done in the seven.

Bri

Thanks for the tips - looks like Jill Judd will be getting an order from me soon probably for a bikini top (for the car, not me 😬) and a boot bag - looks like the new design was at Stoneleigh, looking at the pictures of the car with the half hood.

Anyone any ideas about sticks to hold the lower half of the door open?

Duncan

M7JVL

1.4K with clamshells

Hi Duncan

How about a strip of say 2mm thick carbon sheet - would look the part better than the top off the broom-handle. I'm sure some heavy duty velcro could be arranged to keep it in place as it seems to be doing a good job of keeping my doors shut in place of the dreaded poppers.

• Support Team

Duncan - just use your elbows *tongue*

If you really wanted to make something to hold the doors open then you can buy thin auminium strips from B&Q very cheaply. Bend to shape and drill holes for poppers and you could have some neat little arms that attach to the popper in the side skin and prop the door open - a popper base rivetted to the arm could then allow you to attach the door to it to prevent the door being blown open too far - IYSWIM

Yellow SL *cool* #32

The doors do indeed stay up on their own, but just a little warning, make sure that you have done up the popper at the back, otherwise you will find that the wind could get under the flap and just lift the whole door off its' hinge and fly it away across the road.......don't ask me how I know *eek*

Paul J. Hard work never killed anyone ........ but why take the chance!