Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steve Robinson NO!!!!!

robmar

Steve

I would actually question the eligability of this car for Class 2/3. 1800 cars were only allowed in standard trim and running a 140bhp engine with no other mods, I would suspect that the internal items deem it to be no longer a standard engine.

I'm not trying to be funny but there are enough complaints about 1800's being allowed in the class and then to allow this car in could really upset the situation.

My opinion only but what do the other Class 2/3 competitors think 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

personally ....

I think the mods on the engine do not gain much in performance, rather longevity and robustness in this case (however ICBWIOA) so to me I wouldn't have a problem...

but then you know my position on what should and shouldn't be allowed, but I don't want to start that debate again...

Rob - (now where is that hellier performace upgrade number for my 1600 😬)

forged pistons are used when grad cars need engine rebuild i beleave. The engines are sealed. If there was a performance improvement i think they would not be used.

If you engine goes bang i will fit forged pistons if it means no longer compeating in class 3 , well that life.

''I'm not trying to be funny but there are enough complaints about 1800's being allowed in the class and then to allow this car in could really upset the situation.''

Graham I am sorry that people feel this way, the 1.8 (140) has been the in the roadsport for sometime it not as if a one of special. The only 1.6K now offered by the factory is 115bhp. So if you bought at 1.6 you would need to spend quite a bit to get it up to 140bhp+.

Back to Steve's question Forged pistons should not make this 7 eligability for class2/3. I would think the bigger foot print from wide DD ect would give him more of an advantage. Next we will only be able to run standard dampers.

Grahan this is NOT a go at you but if other class2/3 compeditors are unhappy please get then to voice them so we can discuss all the issues.

David

David

The car Steve is looking at is not a Roadsport but a Superlight so can someone confirm the engine spec of said car, ie what is the quoted bhp of a 2002 Superlight.

I am well aware that you cannot buy a 1.6 with 140 bhp but I'm sure you'll complain when we say R300's are allowed in Class 2/3 and thats the point I'm making, if we bend the rules away from a non standard engine on 1.8's just where do you stop?

(As I'm standing down at the end of this season I will make no further comment on the subject )

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

Graham

the 7 in question as far as I can see is a supelight like mine. the only diffrence being the engine with Forged pistons, Comp spec crank bearings. I do not beleave this to be a VVC or an R300 if it was, it would not be allowed into class2/3.

To all other Class 2/3 compeditors if you are unhappy with the class structure let us discuss it. I though it was all sorted out at the end of last year but must have missed something?

David

[only adding a genuine piece of info and then buggaring off]

the forged pistons wont add performance . They are a longetivity upgrade for roadsport cars , as the EU3 engines were breking ring lands at sustained revs . The roadsport cars also had their ecus modified to run a richer mixture .The compression ratio of the "uprated" forged piston was the same as the original rover item .

This engine will be the same performance as a std EU2 138/140 bhp supersport 1600/1800 .

The suspension should add to performance *thumbup* *thumbup*

[bye]

I think the bhp quote was the same as the 1.8SS from prior to that which ISTR is 145, however i could be wrog, but am sure it is in that ball park...

what ever we do with regards regs not everyone will be happy ( as I ma sure graham is aware of, and glad he won't have to deal with next year)...

personally i think the regs as they stand are pretty fair, there will always be oddities that are not catered for (r300's, standard non SS k's 1.4, 1.6, 1.8s etc) but as my mum used to say 'lifes not fair'

whatever we need is a well defined set of regs (which we largely have) that everyone understands and agrees to

rob

Blimey, didn't mean to open the can of worms again!

Don't think it will be an issue chaps as at the moment I am not in a position to buy it, but an offer on the house soon (just dropped the price to force the issue a bit) and you never know. The owner has sent me pics and I have to say it looks superb, with the suspension mods (and rear diffuser 😳 ) I'm sure it will fly.

It sounds like the conclusion is the engine is still OK for class 3, but it would be nice to know for sure as I wouldn't want to see a rule change for next year push me into 5 with what would then be an uncompetitive car.

Steve

now thats not b...dy likely is it !! 😳 (winning I mean ). The jag has been sold and this car is tempting me. Hurry up Steve..sell the house and save me

Edited by - C7JFM on 17 Jun 2005 15:46:40

I think if steve bought it now we should be ok for next years competition as he would have sold it by december, based on the average length of time he normally keeps 7's 😬

Chris - stick some sticky acb's on and you should be more than competitive *thumbup*

You're all cheeky buggers. I'll keep the next one over a year I promise.....

....unless it gets thrown out of class 3 of course 😬

Chris - I really do want to save you from buying it as it is such a great spec and I want it, but don't think I will get there in time ☹️

Steve