Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gear Selection 6spd

David Hopkins

I have a 6spd box in my car and have difficulty getting back to neutral from reverse . Box has been like this since new and after 1500 miles is no different .

Not a big deal for me if you are prepared to fiddle with the stick a bit , but when my drives it could cause problems if shes on her own .

Any ideas, are there any easy adjustments that can be made , car is still under warranty

• 1 month later...

David,

You may have a short shifter in the box which has been set up in the very stiff position, or the plastic bush onto which the lever meshes may be damaged/stiff/worn.

Phil Stewart at Road Race Transmissions 01959 5251125 should be able to help you.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

It is quite likely to be a problem with the shift linkage rather than the gearbox in its entirety.

The standard lever is bolted to the top of the box with three bolts that go through quite large holes in the lever flange. The lever can be twisted with respect to the box. If you loosen the bolts you might be able to remove the twist and find a sweet spot where it doesn't do this. To loosen the bolts you need to get underneath the tunnel cover by unscrewing the gearlever and removing the handbrake lever handle.

While it is apart, check for burrs on the lumpy fork on the end of the gearlever. If it only does this on reverse it really isn't likely to be anything more sinister.