Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Helmet /Roll Bar Clearance

Simon Young

MSA bluebook Q - saftey critera (2004) Drawing No. Q60(ii) Shows a car with a line drawn between the roll bar top and the "substantial structure forward of the driver. This to be would be the camcover of the engine.

The driver must clear this line.

Drawing Q31 shows a square on pic of the drivers helmet in regard to the roll bar. 5cm below and 25cm in front of is stipulated. 25cm is tough in a 7 where the bar slopes forward. I never had a problem and often thought others who sat higher were not meeting the regs...

I can scan the diagrams and send to you if that helps.

Personally I liked to meet these regs but felt safest = fastest with a cage fitted.

If you click the line at the bottom you will see a pic where I do not really meet this criteria...

I fitted the seat lower and more reclined and then a cage.

I also liked my head to clear all the cage bars even when padded. You be suprised how many raced not clearing these.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 12 Jun 2005 16:20:35

Top of your helmetted head has to be at least 50mm below the highest part of the roll bar. Some places are touchier about this than others - Harewood is one of them.

Cheapest way of getting more clearance is to make a foam seat.

Martin

Roadsports B

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)

Strictly speaking this rule doesn't apply if you're running in a roadgoing class (or is it if the car is in roadgoing condition?) since a rollover bar isn't mandated (only recommended) by the Blue Book for roadgoing cars/classes. You'd be daft not to abide by the rule though.

Mike