Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Duratech Conversion...who?

Ross_H

Ross

Duratecs are incredibly quiet. I can now drive my car without earplugs. When it had a Zetec and before that a Crossflow the noise was unbearable.

I know that before my car was 90 dB in the cabin with the noise meter at ear level at 4000 rpm. Must check again and see what it is now.

Neighbours and a few people at the club meet at the Cornwallis also mentioned that the car is less noisy now.

Don't think you will have any problems at track days (if you have the right silencer!). 😬

AMMO

Sorry to contradict you AMMO but, yes my car (and DannyLT's 250bhp 2.3l R500 Duratec) have had noise issues on trackdays.

I've got the 'big Raceline' silencer (made by Cheesemans) and Danny has one of Ammos silencers and we've both been thrown off various trackdays (including Donnington and Bedford autodrome). As Ammo says the Duratec exhaustr seems very quiet, however you will suffer from induction noise issues if you have a bonnet cut out (as most do) so you'll need to budget for an airbox.

cheers

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

Hmmmmmmm. didn't realise you had been chucked off track days. Maybe a well designed, affordable airbox should be on the cards.

Maybe that is also the reason that Caterham have opted for a short induction system on the CSR 260 to keep everything under the bonnet. I'm sure this is damaging torque through the length and possibly power because of heat.

A better solution is required.

Watch this space.

AMMO

if i have one it's GOT to get on trackdays without any issues. I think you may need to keep the inlet gubbins under the bonnet and maybe use some sort of reverie type solution ala my blackbird... If there's another solution Ammo, i'm sure ther'll be a big market for it. If you could get reasonably powerful caterham relaibly under 98dba that would be a mega selling point. Especially if you could spend 10 mins putting on a loud pipe and removing some induction kit and make it noisy for the road!

Ross,

If you do go the convertion route please contact me about the BB bits.

However I also think this is a mad option *eek*

Having recently driven AMMO's car and allowing for the fact that it still needs set up work it is VERY different from a 'bird. A great road car but...

Matt

Life begins at 10,000 *cool*