Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Aero Cycle Wings

Mike Molloy

Given the interesting wind tunnel development work done by Caterham in developing the CSR, I am thinking of replacing my front wings with something more aerodynamic. I liked the "180 degree"-style used by Andy Charsley on his RGB Striker, but they are designed for 15" wheels, so a bit big for my 13" CR500s (527mm dia.) or 6/21-13 slicks (520mm dia.) I want something that fits as closely as possible to the tyre.

Any suggestions?

Dunno what's around, and I run Flares 'cos I like 'em. Seems to me that the most exciting thing that's happened to cycles is the spoiler on CSR cycles that "spoils" the air trying to stick to the mudguard and make it down to the bottom. That's the equivalent of winglets on a 747. Fashion can go to hell.

Don't the winglets on 747s make a significant difference to the drag......something to do with taking turbulence away from the wing tips

Kind of. As I understand it, the endplates on any wings (F1 included) help stop air from the upper and lower surfaces mixing at the end of the wing - which does reduce turbulence and drag.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Ahem.. strictly speaking, we will be manufacturing something along the lines of the CSR wing.

Please don't ask when, it is in the pipeline and when it's ready we will announce. *thumbup*

The current problem with the CSR wings is that they need a special wingstay, we are trying to keep the original to keep costs down. *thumbup*

Carbon Components from K9 Composites

As the current wingstay mounts the wing about 2 inches above the tyre it's not exactly my favourite piece of engineering.

Ideally I'd like a wing with minimal side height so it can be fitted very close to the tyre while still allowing wheel removal. DAX wings are a nice shape but much too wide for me.

Also, flat wingstays (instead of tubular) would assist the above.

"Why not cut and shut" - cos I can't weld...

That was my first thought when I put the wheels back on without the wings fitted. I realised what a poor fit the standard stays are for the CR500 rollerskate wheels.

However, they are pretty strong. If I made stays out of ally they would almost certainly flap around all over the shop.

I think I need some wings off a Mallock or similar. They are pretty small dia.

When I said it's the equivalent, I didn't mean they do the same thing. Wot I meant was that they are a major step forward. The wing tip vortices form when the high(er) pressure air on the underside of a lifting surface tries to get to the low(er) pressure of the top of the same. The clever thing about a winglet is that to do so it would have to go either up and over the top, (and by the time it gets there the differential pressure is zero so it doesn't bother) or around the leading or trailing edges. (which it can't be 🙆🏻d.) Therefore a major reduction in wingtip vortex. The little spoiler bit on the CSR wing, on the other hand, gets the air that is flowing over the top (low pressure) surface of the wing, and trips it up before it can go down the back. (This would cause drag if it was allowed to flow over the back, as the force is always perpendicular to the lifting surface. At the back of a cycle wing, this perpendicular force would be pointing backwards and hence causing drag.) The flow breaks away from the surface and trails away as a series of shed vortices.

So. It's absolutely nothing like winglets at all in fact.

Good job I didn't say it was like a spoiler on the back of a Porsche. Doh !!