Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mysterious 1.4 K SS engine cooling system problem

Pierre Gillet

My mate Marc has a big problem and is looking for your help

Hi everyone, a tricky problem here.

I've changed my engine block for one I bought right here. This is a 1400K supersport.

The old one was consuming too much oil due to an accident that flooded its cylinders with water for more than one month. Valve guides and cylinder rings were to be changed.

I put out the old block, made an anti-rust treatment on the chassis and the fitted the new block. It has fired up with absolutely no problem.

But ...... I ve been into troubles quickly: the cooling liquid was spilled out from the expansion bottle after either a few miles or tens of miles. I ve re-purged once or twice, and then decided to see a professionnal. Rover was not interested at all to have a look on it so I remembered a guy who prepares rally cars.

First diagnostic: head gasket and a few leaks on the coolant circuit. The gasket has been changed, the head rectified after testing. New head guides (metal ones) and the deep screws have been changed. Cylinder positions has also been checked. Calorstat was weak so a new one has been fitted. The coolant pump was clean, and even if the guy has a new pump in the hand he didn t change it.

I ve taken back the car for 20 kms and it started leaking again (around the expansion bottle). I had coolant from the front triangles to the rear wing (1/2 a liter at least). I have never seen the coolant temperature raising above 85 degrees.

I ve taken the car back to the same guy and we decided to refit the old radiator (I had changed for a new ali one). The ali radiator was poor and blocking part of the circuit.

OK, I m gone again on the road and yesterday, after letting the car running in his garage for about one hour without problem, after he has been getting his daughter at school, after I ve been heavy on the accelerator for 1 hour.

When I ve arrived by me (after nice climbing road in the mountain, about 20 kms), I ve noticed a leak again around the expansion bottle. I phoned my mechanics who told me he may have filled a little too much the circuit so I had to continue as it was not overheating (85 max). I ve taken a 100kgs neighbour with me (to push the car, just in case ). And everything has been fine, really excellent. The engine is really nice.

But once the engine stopped, my car lost about 1/2 a liter of coolant again.

I ll re-purge again tomorrow, but I d like to know if someone could help me to diagnose this as I am running out of ideas (and my mechanics too) ....

Thanks in advance, cheers,

Marc.

Edited by - pierre gillet on 8 Jun 2005 22:52:26

Same problem my Zetec has?

Was rebuilt last year, has never over heated but has recently started venting off?

I've had the cooling system checked and I've bled countless times so am now having the Head off

Sorry I cant help though but i'll post my findings if the HG doesnt sort it

Sandy

Its not the days in your life ..........But the LIFE in your days!! ;0))

Perrie get Marc to change the pressure cap, they DO go faulty...

But it really does sound like the HG. *thumbdown* I know it's been changed but the symptoms are synonimous.

have a look for 'Nick Woods' thread some while back. he (& I) have gone through the same symptoms & remedies until we decided it was time for a look at the gasket.

rog

C7 TNT - it's like dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )